Monday, June 04, 2012

Race Day

The Race for the Cure (R4TC) was yesterday. It was, again, an overwhelming display of support for breast cancer awareness.  8500 participants raised $1.1M.  Congrats to all of them and their efforts.

The crowd of walkers.

For this supporter, I clapped from the sidelines and helped, instead, man the 3Day booth.  We talked and chatted up all shades of walkers this year and the general feeling was we may have even got a few to consider signing up.

BigBro, Seattle SIL, and Georgia
The day, for me, was more than just breast cancer awareness, it’s a chance to spend time with many of my favorite people....

Princess Lori, Seattle SIL, Moi, Georgia, and R (nickname TBD).
and a few dogs,

OMG I loved this dog. She thought everyone was there to pet her.

I need to find this for Pookie.

and a 2013 Mustang

WOOF!

But mostly the people. 

I have no comment.

Blueberry and I

Blueberry, Moi, Georgia, and Princess Lori
The survivor parade gets me all choked up every year and this year was no different.  The 54+ year survivors amaze me considering how much wasn’t know when they were diagnosed and the 0-1 year survivors get me. Their journey really in its infancy.



Blueberry walking in the Survivor Parade.
After the R4TC, we all headed over to my new favorite field coordinator, let’s see…she needs a nickname…Let’s call her Georgia for now since that’s where she’s most recently from. Anyhow Georgia had the getting started volunteers to her place for a “thank you BBQ.” The weather held out and we all sat on a roof top in downtown Seattle, marveling at their view.  We traded stories, we laughed, we discussed fishing, and politics, and me running the 5K R4TC next year, and so many more topics.  I got a chance to get to know a few folks that I knew from afar, or barely knew via Facebook (turns out one of them reads my blog – Hi R – thanks for reading!).  It was an incredible day.



I got home and I crashed.  I’m still not sure how I can be so tired when I didn’t walk the 5K, all I did was stand around and jabber at some folks.  But man it wiped me out.

Tomorrow…tomorrow is a special day. You’ll have to come back to read the blog to find out why!

0 comments: