Tuesday, February 04, 2014

Interviewing

So I'm in week two of the Great Unemployment Adventure 2.0. While I'm "enjoying" the time off, I'm ready to get back to work. The interviews are happening and are being scheduled, though I'm still waiting for that one job offer.

I have a couple of friends who are also looking for jobs. Some for over a year. It surprises to me that it takes so long to find a job, but I also realize that being willing to take contract jobs really ups the possibility.  I was having a conversation with an unemployed friend and was a bit surprised she really didn't know, or understand how to find a job.  Her "process", for lack of a better word, is to keep checking with some of the same companies sites over and over. She's very focused on wanting to work for these companies.  But doesn't look any further. She's also put her resume up on Monster and is "stunned" nothing is happening.

Here's the thing, looking for a job is a job. There are ways to make it easier, but at the end of the day, you have to be creative in your job hunting.  You need to know what type of job you want, what type of company you want, and be willing to say no to a job offer that you know in your heart isn't the right job.

There are a bunch of sites out there to help you find job posting. I use Indeed.com to help. Essentially Indeed does half the work. It goes out and searches job postings all  over the Internet with key words - in my case project manager.  I get a daily email with brand new job posting. I look through them ALL - this is important.  You have to read them all cuz you never know when the title of a job description isn't accurate and the job description might have more details. You just gotta take the time to read them.

I also think you have to keep your applications organized. I have a, wait for it, excel spreadsheet of my applications. I keep all the information there to remind me of the  job posting should I get a call. I not only keep the URL of the job description, but I also copy and paste the job description information into OneNote - because the URL has, and will, be useless once they take the job posting down.

Places I've found useful to look for jobs besides Indeed.com are LinkedIn and Craig's List. All are good places to start, but you really do need to make a job out of finding a job.

I've had some good interviews and feel after each on the same. I've done the best I can and now it's just a wait and see. So far nothing has worked out. I'm convinced the right job will come along and I'm ready to do what I need to find that job.

In other exciting news, the Seahawks won the Superbowl.  If you live in Seattle you certainly couldn't have missed that.  I have never seen the city get so hyped up over a team. But man everywhere you look you see the number 12 for the12th man.

0 comments: