Sunday, February 02, 2014

Celebrate

I've been meaning to write this blog for a week now, and I just haven't had it in me. I've come down with a nice little cold and for some reason it has wiped out all my energy. There are things I've wanted to do, and should have been doing, and I just haven't had the energy.

Even now as I sit here typing away I'm feeling a bit sleepy. I'm debating between continuing to write and taking a nap. I figure the nap is eventual, so might as way write my thoughts.

BigBro's Celebration of Life was something to marvel at. At least 300 people were there to tell stories and to celebrate a man that was so loved by so many people. It was a bit overwhelming to see so many people from all the different aspects of BigBro's life.

I got a chance to chat with his friends from Boeing. It put me to tears to listen to a woman who still swung by BigBro's desk every day to say hi, only to remember too late that he won't be back.

Another Boeing friend told me about how BigBro would answer his phone and would be all about helping whomever was calling and never really complained about it. I know for a fact he complained about his job, but I love that his co-workers see him as someone willing to help in any situation. He was, mostly like that after all.

I spoke with some high school friends who had stories about his "antics" - all innocent enough, but still he was a talker and never stopped telling a story or chatting someone up.


Then there were the friends from Demolay.  Demolay is a dying society it seems, but the brothers were all part of this in the 70's.  So many friends told me stories of BigBro's dedication to the fraternity (for lack of a better word for it). One gentlemen retold a story of the first time he met BigBro and how welcomed he felt into the fold.



Then there was the 3Day gang. I was not surprised to see so many of them there to celebrate his passion for the cause. The stories this group had were nothing short of tear jerkers. Each had a special story of when they first met BigBro and how big his hugs were. In fact, the big, all embracing hugs were a common theme throughout all the groups of friends.


A gathering of young women caught my attention too. I stopped and chatted with two of them and they told me that Coach Ric was one of their favorite coaches. Turns out these girls all were part of a soccer team and coached by BigBro. It was a mini reunion for these girls and each one seemed to have taken something from their days of being coached by BigBro with them in their current lives.


Family, of course, was there.  A Celebration of Life wouldn't be complete without the clan there.  Brothers, sisters, cousins, daughters, mothers, in-laws were all on hand to recount the man and his life.  BiggerBro (the oldest) said a few words to the crowd and I smiled when he said he could talk all day about BigBro and say anything - and for once not be interrupted.  I then broke down in tears with BiggerBro choked up a little in his closing. For some reason him, and my MiddleBro, crying just causes a gush of tears.


The Buckhorn crew was there too. One of the wives of one of the Buckhorn crew made ribbons for everyone to wear. The Buckhorn guys all got ribbons that had camo, pink, and orange ribbons. It was very special to me and I was so thrilled that these people who loved BigBro and his love for hunting were there to say goodbye and tell some stories I'm sure BigBro would have preferred to not be told.


The last group was of friends. People who wasn't part of any of the other groups of his life, but was fond of the big guy and knew him through me or through other avenues of his life. Neighbors who lived next to him for years. Teachers who knew him years ago.  Family friends who lived in the old neighborhood - so many stories and not enough time.


We had a beautiful photo movie playing non stop throughout. So many people stopped me to tell me how wonderful it was to see his life played out before them. And how really blessed his life was.  We had a bunch of stories people sent me that we displayed.  Every time I walked by it someone was standing there crying.  The stories all had a common theme...his love for life, his big hugs, and his passion for what he believed in.

It was a bittersweet day for me.  I was tired and overwhelmed just by the putting it all together, and then I was tired and overwhelmed by all the people there. When I got home I had a "moment" to reflect and I had a small melt down.  I spent the day hearing stories, seeing so many old friends/family, and by the end of the day I had to smile a bit. He was loved and he touched so many lives.  I'm proud to have called him brother.

0 comments: