Monday, September 25, 2006

Plan B

Ever had one of those times when everything you planned didn't quite turn out the way it was planned? In project management we call this risk management. Not something I do too well in my every day life. You'd think I would learn.

This weekend Sherrie and I trotted off to see the Dead Sea Scrolls at the Pacific Science Center in Seattle. I figured going later in the afternoon we might avoid some of the crowds at the PSC. We got there about 3:30 and apparently the Dead Sea Scrolls was sold out. Huh? What? How? Neither one of us could understand how a museum piece could be "sold out." After staring at the poor worker behind the bullet proof glass for what seemed like eternity, we moved on.

We figured we were already at the Seattle Center, already paid our $10 parking fee, might as well wonder around. Sherrie suggested we have dinner at this swanky Italian place she and a friend had gone to before. She knows I'm ALWAYS game for Italian food. I think I must have been Italian in a past life.

We meandered our way through the Center to this fountain in the center. The fountain does a water display to music. Much like the Bellagio does in Vegas, only smaller and not as warm. It was about 65 degrees in the sun. Yet, there were several dozens of kids running through the water. Um Brrr..... When we were kids, did we not care how cold the water was? Did we not have any heat or frigid sensors in our bodies? Surely we did, but these kids did not. We sat there for about 30 minutes and drank in the sun, the people, the noisy kids...but it was quite enjoyable.

Finally we walked to the Italian restaurant for an early dinner. About 5 blocks away we finally get there...they're closed. Oh wait, they open at 5pm. Its 4:15...let's see. We're at the bottom of Queen Ann hill, a place FULL of coffee houses...yes...that's it. So we marched 3 blocks back and found a little coffee house. We sat there and chatted until about 5:10. Marched BACK to the Italian restaurant...ah ha...they're opened. Opening the door we were hit with the small of garlic and tomato...mmmm. I was hungry instantly. As if that's a stretch.

The hostess asked if we had reservations. Reser-what? Ah no. Did she not understand that we had been waiting for them to open? She informed us she was full and it would be about a 2 hour wait. Yah, so not going to happen.

So we left, a bit depressed and laughed at how everything we tried to do that day turned out to not work quite right. We went next door to the Italian restaurant to a little Mexican joint called Pesos. In short, the high ceiling is lipstick-red, cheesy bullfight art covers the lounge's back wall and the back bar couldn't be gaudier. It's tawdry--and fun. Unlike family-oriented Mexican places, this joint holds nothing back. I had their Carne asade (broiled flank steak) and camarones al mojo de ajo (grilled shrimp in garlic butter) come in two versions: standard and diablo (with that devilish roasted habanero sauce). I stuck with the standard. But my god what flavor. Sherrie had a Crab and Shrimp enchilada thingymabob. We both sampled their Mojitos...I had the Pomegranate one, she had the apple-pear one (and left 3 quarters of it....)

All in all, despite fate's attempt to make our day a disaster, we had fun. I, for a change, didn't get all bent out of shape because my plan didn't go as - well - planned.

Job update: I have two phone interviews tomorrow morning. One job would pay me exactly what I'm making now (Ca-Ching). The other, not so sure about...but we'll see.

Crush update: Tomorrow it will be exactly one month since I last heard a peep from him. He did post something to his blog (which he hadn't posted to since June) that indicated that he might not be "engaging" as he would prefer. Oh well. His loss. I need someone to be engaged...at least a little.

Netflix Update: Not because I think you need to know this, but its a pivotal part of my life. I love me my netflix. I have been addicted to watching series lately. I've gone through Angel - as you know. Then Buffy, Then Queer as Folk, and now am on to last season of Lost. Yah, finally got to the point in which I stopped watching...and MY GOD....this show fascinates me. I can't wait to get the next DVDs... Next on my Netflix viewing enjoyment is Smallville. Laugh if you must. But I will marry Tom Wellings. After I convince him to ditch his beautiful wife. Maybe I should just borrow him for some SuperMan needs?

1 comments:

Nicki said...

Angel and Buffy were AWESOME! Another good show is Freaks and Geeks. It only lasted one season, but damn, was it good. I'll probably watch the season again just to get my fix.