Sunday, March 23, 2008

Thanks Easter Bunny! Brahck! Brahck!

Happy Easter everyone. I'm celebrating the day in a not so traditional way. I'm having Spanish Chicken and Rice for dinner. YUM! It's a recipe I've mastered over the years and I thought it sounded delicious for today. It's all wet and drippy outside, so it's the perfect comfort food.

It's been a long and very enjoyable weekend. We got Friday off for Good Friday. Not a common holiday I don't think to have off here in the US, but I'm not complaining. Our UK compadres had Friday and will have Monday off. Which means work will be Q-U-I-E-T! Yay Quiet!

Friday I hung out at home and did homebody stuff like cleaning and watching really bad afternoon TV. Then BigBro showed up and we managed to walk 5 miles (5.18 to be exact) around the lovely hood. It was a nice little walk and so glad I got out.
Then Saturday, we had no "team" walk planned so I figured I could go out on my own. The sun was shining, and the route BigBro and I took Friday could be altered to stop at a Starbuck's. So off I went. Before I went though, I decided to try those 5 hour Energy shot thingys. After gagging it down, berry flavored my butt, I sat and patiently waited for it to kick in. I knew that 10 miles would take me 4 hours give or take, so I took it about 30 minutes before I planned on walking. Within minutes I was hopping up cleaning stuff, and feeling very energized. Strapping on the shoes, I was off. Shin splints be damned, I couldn't stop. I felt so much energy it was quite frightening and I couldn't help but wonder if that was what being on crack was like. I managed 10 miles with a 15 minute stop at a Starbucks to rest and do other things. I didn't end up getting ANY coffee because I didn't think my heart could stand it.
I made it home in what I considered record time for a 10 mile walk and realized I had to get ready to go to a friends house for a spring gathering. Hopping in the shower I was still all jittery. It was as if I had several shots of espresso (but it tasted worse). Off to The Newlyweds for a spring festival. My hands were shaking, I was talking 50 MPH, and I couldn't sit still. I drank gallons of water hoping that would help. Then a glass or two, or three of wine. Then as if a clock chimed inside, I hit a wall. I could barely stand and realized that apparently the 5 hr energy had finally wore off. I didn't feel like myself, but felt like I had run a marathon. Deciding to pack it in for the evening, I managed to make it home and fell into bed and asleep with no effort. 12 hours later I awoke to Easter. TWELVE HOURS! I never sleep that long.
Moral of the story, I wouldn't recommend the 5 hour energy drink unless you plan on being busy and full of energy for 6+ hours. I took it at noon and by 7 it wore off. I guess I got my bang for my buck.
On another front, I'm not sure I mentioned that the old computer completely died. Stupid me didn't take my 1200 recipe database off the old computer. And now I can't seem to get it to run without over-writing the hard drive altogether. Which means adios to that database. So on a whim, I thought I'd try to load the recipe software I've been using on my new pink Vista machine. The company who made this lovely recipe software said it won't run on Vista, so I didn't bother. Well, guess what...it does! Yes mam. It does! I spent a good part of today already fishing through the printed recipes I have and see that only about 300 aren't printed. That's a lot, but not as bad as I thought. So now I've started the long process of inputting them all into the new database. And yes, I'm backing this one up (on my new pink external hard drive of course).
So with that, I have recipes to enter. Which of course makes me hungry. Maybe I'll have an early dinner tonight.

4 comments:

Ken La Salle said...

Jenn,

You might want to try Zipfizz. They're all natural, low calorie, no crap. They give you a boost without freaking you out AND there's no hitting a wall at the end. They're not high-powered energy but they help out. (And you mix them with water, which increases your water intake.)

Lesley said...

What's in that 5 hour energy drink anyway??? Maybe I should take one next week when I have to move! ;)

You have 1200 recipes? When are you publishing your own cookbook?!!

Nicki said...

OK. Several things.

#1 - ONLY 300 recipes?!?! I don't even think I've SEEN 300 recipes in my life.

#2 - I am so going to try that stuff. If I can drink 16 oz of tastes-like-pee-pee Red Bull, surely I can drink a bit of that.

#3 - One day I'm going to cut you and you're going to bleed Starbucks.

Did that just sound a little creepy? Because I didn't mean it to be creepy. I just meant to, you know, show, oh never mind.

Al & Jo said...

I don't know who Freak Magnet is, but I have to meet this gal...she is great! What a great wit she has! And she is right, you bleed Starbucks...you and you SLSIL! And your niece is racing to catch up to you both!