Wednesday, April 21, 2010

I'm a Loser Baby!

So this last Saturday we celebrated another year for Blueberry. She's no officially older than me and will be until December. But this was a special year...42! Which really - according to HikerGirl - is 21 again! And as I understand it from some Sci-Fi friends 42 is supposed to be some all powerful super number. We shall see.
In 2003 Blueberry was diagnosed with breast cancer. Never in all my years would I have imagined that this disease would hit so close to home, and to someone so young. It was scary times. Fear was stalking at our doors on a regular basis. The unknown lurked. The new words we were forced to learn were more syllables than I'd ever imagined. And yet, she prevailed. We all did. And here we are 7 years later still sitting in amazement at the brave soul that suffered, and survived!
It was shortly after that horrible experience that I decided for her birthday's gifts would no longer be enough. Let's not talk about the fact that she, and I, both have more stuff than we could, or should, ever need. What do you buy a cancer survivor for birthday's and holidays? Something pink? Something they'd be thrilled to see that day, week, month, but would soon lose its luster and be tossed into the bin of "old birthday gifts".
It was the realization that life was precious. And that all we really have in life, in the end, are memories. Memories of fun times spent with family and friends. Sure there are some sad memories tossed in to keep us grounded, but by and large, the good memories are what people really cling to.
It was then I decided that for her birthday's for as long as I could, I'd give experiences over gifts. The first year I decided to do this I took her on a tour plane ride around Seattle. Now granted we couldn't do it in April, because, well you need a sunny day. So we went in June on the most beautiful day every created.
Last year I took her to the Roller Derby! I mean, how much fun is watching grown women skate in a circle daring each other to pass them?
This year I was at a loss. What to do? I told Blue to be ready by 2pm on Saturday the 17th and that it would be a surprise. Well, the weather didn't turn out to be as good as I had planned so she had to take a rain check (hahaha get it? it rained - rain check? Oh never mind) for the one thing I had planned. But the second thing, was still a go.

I kept the crowd relatively small this year because - well - I wasn't really sure how the HR was going to be. It just opened in February, and as cool as the HR is, the food isn't so great. Still we had a blast! Blue was very surprised.
Why the Hard Rock you ask? Well, for as long as we've been adults globe trotting around the world (is that redundant? Globe and around the world? whatever) Blue has ALWAYS, without fail, stopped at a HR and bought a souvenir pin. She must have a dozen or more. As part of her experience, I bought her a pin to add to her ever expanding collection. (and don't tell her but I've done research already as to HRs in Alaska for our cruise in August).
The gang: Sean and Carrie MacNeil, Mr. Volleyball and the Dane, Blueberry and of course, moi!
Don't ask! Its safe to say, we were being goofy...


So another year, another experience to put in her books. Whatever will I do next year? She's threatened me with a surprise this year for my birthday but that's almost impossible. She's only pulled off a surprise once! (see what I did there? Should she be reading this blog, which she won't because she's lame that way, I've thrown down the glove!).
In other note Blueberry related news - I've been getting donations for my cookies. I have two orders pending right now - $200 worth of cookies - so they say! So what are you waiting for? Why aren't you ordering your cookies from me? Beautifully done, World Famous Chez Jenn sugar cookies!

0 comments: