Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Glacier Bay...wow...

Glacier Bay – OMG! That doesn’t even explain it. But Wow, just wow. I’ve seen some pretty amazing things in my life, and I gotta say Glacier Bay’s glaciers are in the top 5 by far.


We started the day with overcast skies and cold. The wind was whipping through the fjords and it was just flat out cold. The weather website said Glacier Bay would be 80 and sunny. I kept saying that all day hoping it would influence the weather gods to sunny. Turns out as we got to the most majestic glacier the sun came out. It was warmer too. The sun helped us see the beautiful glacial colors.

Blueberry and I staked out our spot around 11:30 and we suffered through wind, rain and sun until we were finally rewarded with the view of all views. The Margerie Glacier. It’s 250 years old and is losing 7 feet a day. It’s the most active of the glaciers with calving happening every 20 minutes or so. We were fortunate to see one helluva piece of ice fall off. I got photos and will share them when I’m back in free Internet at home.



Critter report today – is significant. We started the day by witnessing a breaching whale. Blueberry say the tail and before she could get out “It’s gonna breach” the beauty popped up right in front of us. It was surely a sight to see. Our excited exclamations had everyone from the other side of the boat coming to the port side and I swear the ship was going to tip to the side.


After the whale sighting we spotted several sea otters. I took photos of them but they turned out like little specs on the water. Then later in the day we were able to see two bears having dinner with on a whale carcass. So I guess we got to see another whale.

Tomorrow is Juneau.

0 comments: