Monday, August 23, 2010

Sea Sickness Roulette

Day one came and went without any real issues. We all found the boat, barely, and we all found our staterooms. These rooms are a lot bigger than the rooms on the Norwegian cruise in January.


The ship on the other hand is crap by comparison. We’re on the Holland American ship the Oosterdam. I’m not a fan of this ship, and I have to admit I only have one point of reference. However, even Blueberry who has 5 cruises under here nautical belt says this is, by far, the least impressive.

Why, you ask am I not a fan. Well, frankly it’s laid out funky. There are three different levels of restaurants, shops, bars, grills, observatories etc. And the layout seems weird to me, but whatever. I’m on vacation so I really don’t care. The ship has seen better days too. Stains on the rugs, and worn chairs has it looking aged…and it’s only 7 years old.

Regardless, as I said, we’re on vacation. We are all enjoying our day at sea. Everyone is kinda going their own way doing their own thing. As Julie McCoy I’ve set up “check in” times and places. See, Julie McCoy left the walkie talkies on her bed and so we’re without communication for now.

Today I’ve managed to get out of bed, have breakfast, sit and have coffee, read a little, do a tour through the kitchen, barely eat lunch because of some uneasy stomach issues…turns out the sea is a bit choppy (nothing like it was on the last cruise) but I’m having some issues. See my fancy bracelets I’m wearing. They’re supposed to help with this seasickness thing. We shall see, I just put them on and am hoping they start to do the trick. Isn't it sexy?


I did get a chance to sit through a lecture on the wildlife we’ll be seeing tomorrow in Glacier Bay. I’ll be freezing my butt off tomorrow I suspect as they said for budding photographers like me, the best view will be the bow. The bow is the front and therefore the wind. Now you can go indoors and watch, but what fun is that. Park rangers are coming on board to “talk” us through the bay. They’ll have hot coco and coffee throughout the boat too, so I suspect I’ll be fine. As long as I’m not sick.

And with that, I’m going to go put my head on a pillow and try to stop the rocking. I’m sitting out on our deck right now and the seas have calmed a lot. We went through one helluva rain storm about lunch time…and let me tell you…I was walking like a drunken sailor.

2 comments:

BigBro said...

Stay outside (fresh ari) and look to the horizon (equilibrium) to ease the sea queezies........ifit get real bad.......bannanas and canned peaches....they taste the same coming back up.

Unknown said...

do you have dramamine? i took one every single day i was on a cruise and that was the only thing that helped.