Friday, August 06, 2010

Summer Breeze..makes me feel...sick

How is it possible to get a cold in the summer?

Remember all those old wives tales our parents used to tell us about "catching a death of a cold". Things like,

"Don't go out side with wet hair, you'll catch a death of a cold."

Or

"You'd better wear a jacket or you'll catch a death of a cold."

Neither I believe are true. Colds are viruses. Mostly. I think.

Regardless, I have one. Its summer time and colds should NOT be allowed. When I'm President I'll deem it so. Until then I'll have to survive.

I went home yesterday around 11:30 in a sorta catatonic state. I don't really remember driving home, or changing into my "cold" clothes, yet somehow I managed.

ChickenLady stopped by about 2pm with Nyquil, SunnyD, and Chili Cheese Fritos. I have no idea why the Chili Cheese Fritos - other than she said something about comfort food. Turns out they came in handy when I woke up later that night and needed just a snack. Couldn't taste them, but I'm sure they gave me rank breath. They always do.

Anyhow, ChickenLady left at/around 2:30. I hit the bed. Actually, I hit the couch. I just laid there thinking about going up stairs. The prospect of dragging my sorry butt upstairs just seemed like too much at the time. So I laid on the couch. Sweating.

Finally at about 4:11 I hauled myself upstairs. Turned on the fan pointing right at me and fell asleep. The phone rang around 5:30 - it was mom. Once I found my phone, which I apparently was sleeping on and got off the phone with mom, I figured I'd wander down stairs for some water and a bite. Enter chili cheese fritos.

Decided to feed the cat early - he was thrilled. Went upstairs, chugged some Nyquil at about 7pm. Woke this morning at 6am feeling better. Not so much like death warmed over anymore...

The cold has graciously moved from the sinus' to my lungs. So instead of sniffling and making goose calls when I blow my nose, I'm hacking up a lung.

You'd think I'd lose like 10 lbs between the amount of snot that has left (snot has to weigh something) and the lung that has been hacked up.

I'm going to try to stay here all day today - I don't have sick leave you see, so I lose $$ when I go home sick. Turns out someone was nice enough to schedule a 5 hour meeting today starting at noon...if I survive that, I might have to kill that person.

Wish I would have brought the chili cheese fritos for a snack today during the meeting. My breath alone could end the meeting early!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Take care! You need to be well for your cruise!! At least well enough to take lots of pictures! xoxo