Monday, August 16, 2010

Sunday Dinners

I've started a new tradition.  Sunday Dinners.  But first some history.

There's something about traditions that always capture my heart and spirit.  Stories or actions passed down by generations. Each generation changing the tradition, perhaps, slightly to meet the new demands of the day. Still traditions are part of who we are. They are, in some cases, the very fiber of our woven heart. 

The act of passing down traditions is something I'll never do.  No children to pass any traditions down to. This, I've discovered, makes me sad.  I have a lot to give to the next generation, and I want to pass that gift down.  Not in the cards though, and that's okay.

So I got to thinking, why can't I start my own tradition and pass that tradition down to my friends and family?  And the idea of the Sunday dinners was born.

My initial thought was to have it every Sunday.  I quickly realized how ridiculous that would be, even for me.  So make a dedicated Sunday and stick to it.  Start "advertising" the second Sunday of every month as "Sunday Dinner at Jenn's." 

Sunday dinners are about laughter, getting caught up with loved ones, and of course food. All things I love.  Sunday dinners will be an opportunity for me to see people I see on a regular basis (and feed them), see people I see only occasionally, but want to see more, and to see people I haven't seen in forever and want to see more.  Its a win win for everyone.

Last night was my first Sunday dinner. 5 people in total, including myself, attended.  A good friend of mine - Heidi, her BF, Claudia, and of course Blueberry...and thank heavens they showed up hungry.

I made brisket for my first Sunday dinner meal. Brisket, mashed potatoes and gravy, glazed carrots and a layered salad.  Oh and we finished it off with Nutella cookies.  The brisket turned out perfectly and I was so proud of how good it tasted.  It's a must repeat recipe. 

The other new tradition that I must start, and I have missed the first dinner to do this, is some type of scrapbook or guest book to commemorate these events.  In PM world there's a Constraint triangle. It consists of Scope, schedule and cost. The idea is if any of the points shift or change, the the other two must shift and change as well. For example, if scope increases, so should schedule and cost. 

The same exists for me - I may call it the Triangle of Doom someday, but for now we'll just call it Jenn's Triangle of Fun - Cooking, Photography and Scrapbooking.  My three favorite things.  If one increases, the other two should.  Seems logical doesn't it? 

And so, back to my point of a guest book or something of the sort.  Imagine after a year of Sunday dinners, I could have a scrapbook/recipe book of my Sunday dinners. I could, perhaps, sale said recipe book for the 3day fund raising...see? It all fits together in a nice little package with a big pink bow!

So the invite is out there.  Second Sunday of every month. Come one! Come all!  Sunday Dinner's at Chez Jenn's. It's THE place to be.

1 comments:

Al & Jo said...

When I was growing up, Sunday dinner was always special. Mom always had a big NOON meal. I remember it fondly. When you were growing up (early years) the Sunday dinners continued until we got to busy as a family to do it. I miss them. Someday maybe I can be at one of yours. Keep it up.