Friday, August 20, 2010

Cruisin...on Sunday afternoon.

And before you get all, “those aren’t the lyrics” on me, I know it should be Groovin…but I changed it to fit my blog title. See what I did there? I “changed it” – please put down your coffee/tea/beer/whiskey and air quote the “changed it” with me. Ready? “Changed it”. Nice. Well done.

Now back to me and my “cruisin”. 

You should know, if you don’t already, that Sunday I will be stepping onto another large ship and heading off to a land that is North, it is the Wild Wild West, it is cold, it has bears and men who wear flannel…or Alaska as some call it.  This is the cruise that Blueberry won last year at the Survivor Brunch and we are finally going. I can't wait.

I'm packed. Of course I'm packed. I am, after all, Julie McCoy your cruise director (of which Claudia -who needs a nick name - is forever calling me).  If there was ever a TV character that I wanted to be (besides Sabrina in Charlie Angels) Julie McCoy was her.  She and I - cut from the same cloth. Am I the only one singing the Love Boat theme again?

But I digress....

Right, back to packing.  My list is done, almost 100% of the items I need are in/around the suitcase. The cat has investigated and slept in the suitcase.  The laundry is ready to be done. The last minute shopping list is done. I'm all set. Mittens, scarf, hat, parka...all ready for this cruise.

It feels weird to pack "warmer" clothing for a cruise. When I hear/say the word cruise I think sunny, beautiful beaches, not the tundra.  I think tank tops, shorts, flip flops. Not pants, wool socks, mukluks, and parkas.

My goal for this cruise is to see a moose, a bear, an eagle, and a salmon.  I'm pretty sure the last two will be easy to see.  Eagle's are everywhere and salmon will be on my dinner plate.  The moose and bear may be more difficult. But I'm nothing if not determined. If it means making Blueberry wear honey scented perfume, then the sacrifice must be made.

I've been diligently watching the weather for the ports in Alaska too.  What? You're surprised? Hello, Julie McCoy here.  And of course I've been sending weather updates to my cruise mates (who most likely will be tossing me overboard at some point if I don't relax a little).  Here's the scoop:

First stop, Glacier Bay. We'll be there Tuesday and it appears to be 70 ish and sunny.
Next stop, Juneau.  Junuea will be 55 ish and showers. Goody.
Next stop, Sitka.  Sitka, like Juneau, will be 55 ish and showers.  Thank heavens I'm a Seattle-lite.
Next stop, Ketchikan.  Ketchikan will be, say it with me, 55 ish and showers.  
Last stop, Victoria BC.  We port in Victoria at 6pm at night and leave at midnight. Weird to even have a stop there, but whatever.  Most likely we'll get off the boat, find a pub and park ourselves with a beer and food.  The temperature in the pub will be sunny and 75F.

And that's the weather, now back to you.

My camera is tuned, ready to go. All the batteries are charged.  All the lens are cleaned and ready.  I'm hoping to get some great photos this trip. I've been studying up on photography, and photoshop elements so even if they're crap photos, I can make them cool with photoshop.   Oh so I've been told.

There are more exciting things on the horizon, but I can't discuss them yet.  So don't change this channel.

0 comments: