Wednesday, September 21, 2011

3 days 60 miles and no voice to speak of

This year's 3day had a whole different fill to it. Some good points, some bad, but still the emotional roller coaster of joy and sadness that I've come to expect from the 3 days. 

Day 1:
We were up at the butt crack of dawn and at CenturyLink field to participate in opening ceremonies.  Still, with 4 3day events under my belt, I cry. There is something so powerful with witnessing 2100 walkers celebrating the purpose they are all there. Some are walking for themselves, their mothers, daughters, sisters, etc who are all still with us. Some are walking for those who lost their battle. But all have the common goal to end breast cancer. Its amazing to feel the energy and power that comes off of these very focused group of people.

Team Wraspir was all set. They had their fanny packs, their feet were fresh, and they were ready to walk 60 miles.  As with last year, The Niece came to help Walker Stalk with me. This year though she knew what to expect and had her 3day outfits all set and ready to show her Pink support. 

Team Wraspir: The Niece, BigBro, Seattle SIL, me, and Blueberry

As always the Survivor Circle gets my tears flowing without any effort.  The long flag is full of comments from all the walkers. They asked everyone to sign it and/or put their comments, wishes, dreams, reasons for walking.  I took some time reading some of the comments and had to walk away...too many sad entries.

And they were off...

The route this year was primarily in the East side, but the walkers left from Seattle.  The route from Seattle to Bellevue took the walkers across the I90 Floating Bridge.  It was quite a site.  On the other side of the bridge The Niece and I set up with our signs to welcome Team Wraspir (aka Saving 2nd Base).



Once The Niece and I left them there, we hoofed it to camp to drop off a spare car so BigBro would have one to drive home. Then we found the walkers.  The Niece and I dressed up Sparky too.  She looked HOT...as did the driver. 

So the day progressed. I drove up and down the route, dancing, singing at the top of my lungs with very loud music, cheering, singing, and doing it all over again.  I was exhausted by the time the day was over.

Day 2 was much of the same.  Puck got more involved in Day 2. He got his photo take with the Firepersons walking this year. These people amaze me, walking the entire 60 miles in full gear (minus the tanks).

Puck got to experience the port-a-potties too. They're surprisingly clean.

As I was saying, day 2 was more of the same. Driving, singing, picking up walkers who needed a life - even though the 3day provide Sweep vans, some walkers prefer to ride in a spiffy convertible. Can you blame them?

Day two, Walter was out to support the team though. Walter is part of Flamingo Road, which is the team Blueberry does 99% of her training with. He's the sweetest dog ever and looks pretty darn good in Flamingo stuff.

And so the walkers finished day 2 with tired feet, blisters, but still an attitude of defiance that they were going to find a cure...and by God they were going to walk one more day.


Day 3 route was in Seattle. The walkers left from Husky Stadium and wondered their way through the U district to find themselves in Fremont. The Niece and I set up camp at the "Waiting for the Interurban statue and took photos for all the walkers. While at the statue I got to really see the spirit that is the 3 day. Tired walkers were continuing undeterred.

And then Princess Lori swung by...


Princess Lori and I were the ones who thought to decorate the statues.  She had to swing by to make sure I had done a Princess worthy job.

The Niece and I found our way to lunch and we waited for the team.  It amazed me as I sat there that the walkers coming in - who had walked at that point 55 miles - were still able to dance their way into lunch. 

The Niece's 3rd day outfit was one that involved a pink cowboy hat with a crown (Princess Lori would be so proud).  BigBro decided he needed to try on the had...Puck decided he needed to be in the photo.

Team Wraspir was dressed and ready to finish their last 5 miles to closing. Some day we'll get BigBro to actually dress up for closing. Until then Seattle SIL and Blueberry will carry the team.


Then...they made it. Full of joy, tired feet, but extremely happy and proud to be making a difference.


Now we've hit the refresh button.  New ideas for fundraising next year, potentially crewing in Seattle and walking in San Diego...only time will tell.

I'll have all my photos posted to Flickr this week some time.  But I'll leave you with this....THIS is why we do what we do. This is why thousands of walkers lace up in 15 different cities. THIS is why we must find a cure for breast cancer.



0 comments: