Monday, September 05, 2011

Spontaneous Road Trip

I woke up on Saturday morning and realized it was going to be another beautiful day in the great Northwest.  I drank my cup of coffee and pondered what to do today. The sun was out, the heat was coming, and I knew Sparky was itching to hit the open road.

I didn't really know where we were going to go, but Puck, Sparky and I headed out.

It didn't take me long to think to head toward Snoqualmie Falls through the back roads.  So pedal to the metal and we were off.

We drove beautiful, scenic Washington roads and got to Snoqualmie Falls in no time.

The 270 foot falls this time of year are beautiful. The trees are still green and there's a significant amount of water falling over the falls. Snoqualmie Falls is one of Washington state’s most popular scenic attractions. More than 1.5 million visitors come to the Falls every year. And I think every single one of them were there on Saturday.

I hadn't been to the Falls in years, and was surprised to see they had redone the scenic area.  The old observation deck was covered and a direct line for the mist the falls creates.
Puck wanted to try his luck going over the falls. I eventually talked him out of it, but he talked a good talk for the rest of the day.

From the falls I headed into Northbend. I wanted to try to get a photo of Mount Si.  I driven past it for years but  never thought to stop and try to take a photo.  The trail heads for both Small Mt. Si and Big Mt. Si were packed with hikers making their trek to the top.
 
Northbend has a lot of old train cars sitting around and designed to be a visitor stop. Stop here and check out these old train cars! I couldn't get close enough to any of them to put puck in one to make it look like he was now a Hobo Duck.  Instead he settled on playing chicken on a set of tracks. I didn't have the heart to tell him the tracks were no longer in use.


It was a beautiful day for an adventure. Sparky was happy to get out, Puck was happy to get out, and I was happy to get out.  I have only 7 days before I return to work so I'm trying to make the most of what's left.

The list is, well, almost done.

0 comments: