Thursday, May 17, 2007

RIP

The following is very sad. Please read it with respect and imagine a sad, story telling reading this to you.

Its been a very sad, sad week for me. I lost something near and dear to my heart. Its been a struggle all week to cope with such a loss, but I'm managing. Technical support, friends and family are helping me deal with this tragedy.

2004 - 2007
Jenn's Work Laptop - may it rest in peace.
It leaves in its wake a terrible loss of data and security of mind that one gets with computers. They are so strong and so stable, that when something this unexpected happens, you're just stuck with asking, "Why?"

It leaves behind cuss words, frustration and a sense of loss that cannot be explained.

Lost in this tragedy is 5 months of project documents, 5 months training notes in OneNote, and all my Internet favorites.

Gone! In an instant! All of it, gone! I'm so sad.

The best part of this sudden death is that it happened on a day I really need to have my laptop available. Not only did I lose a lot of data, but I lost 6 hours of work time which put me behind. Once I did receive a "temporary" laptop to work on, it didn't have any software aside from IE on it. So another hour later, I can actually work...sorta.

Loss of data = loss of productivity

But if one thing has been learned by this tragedy, its that our company has no "official" back up system in the US. And I, being of faithful heart towards technology, am left with this nagging feeling that I should have backed-up on my own. A mistake, I assure you, I will not repeat.

And in the mean time, I'm left in computer hell. In limbo land with my computer. The powers that be are trying to decide if to replace the hard drive in the old laptop, or just get me a new one (keep in mind we have three new ones just sitting here doing nothing). Stay tuned!

*******************
And in other news, more happier news. I got to go to a Seattle Mariner's game last night with GalPal Margo who scored EXCELLENT, (and free) tickets. We didn't much watch the game really mostly due to the distraction of multiple cute guys around (Me thinks sporting events might be a way to meet guys - well, except they'd be all too busy watching the sporting event to notice such staggering beauty as I near by - damn men). And Margo had the unfortunate luck of running in to former Crush who was with another - more trampy - woman. But all was not lost, except for the Mariners - they lost - we had lots of chatty time, lots of beer and good food/peanuts. AND, I picked the right hat during the hat trick, and the right hydro to win the hydro races, BEFORE the games began. (These are silly computer animated games to entertain the fans during the change on the field).

And tomorrow night is the DMQ CD Recording show. I am soooo very excited. I can't wait to see the boys deliver an excellent show. They will be rocking the house in my favorite venue, the Triple Door.

3 comments:

Ken La Salle said...

Jenn's 'Puter. May you rest in pieces.

Nicki said...

I lived in dire fear that something was going to happen to the drive I had all of my music on. Now, I've backed up to DVD's, so all's good.

I feel for you, woman. That has to be devastating.

Groove said...

I feel your pain but no back up program? That's pathetic.