Monday, July 09, 2007

UK or Bust!

I can't help but sit in the airport and think of that movie "Planes, Trains and Automobiles." One of the best movies ever made, IMHO. And sadly somewhat true in how complicated and tiring traveling can be. Along with tiring, one does have an opportunity to witness human nature in action. watch people, but the airport is a close second.

Sitting in the bar (dah) I watched people around me. At one table a group of young lads drink up the tequila in the bar. All laughing and carrying on as if they just got laid and can’t believe how lucky they were. Another table is host to a group of exactly the opposite – old men. All four of them have just returned from a trip of male bonding. The oldest must be 80 and the youngest must be 60. Clearly the best of friends. The group sit and recount their trip and continue to joke with inside jokes. One has a hearty laugh that makes me smile every time I hear them. It makes me miss my grandpa.

Another table there appears to be a group of Asian folk that don’t quite understand that their young daughter is not allowed in the bar. The waitress tries, unsuccessfully to tell them she has to leave. She points to the girl and point out of the bar. To the girl, out of the bar. The Asian couple…clueless.

I got her early, go figure. And by early I mean E-A-R-L-Y! 4 hours early. A lot by Jenn Wraspir standards even. So I found myself a bar, have myself a Stella (or two or three – what? I was directed by my lead PM to drink before I get on the plane.), my photography book and my camera. I’m set. Now, all I have to do is try to stagger to the gate in time.

So I actually made it. The flight was slightly delayed, of course. And we sat on the Tarmac for about 30 minutes once we got here. That truly is psychological torture. I mean, you get so close to getting off the plane and then – psyche – no can do. You must sit and wait. The only other downside to the trip was Mr. Stinky who I was fortunate to sit next to. I think I finally got used to his stench because it wasn’t until we got off the plane and he was in front of me that I remembered he stunk. PEE UUU!

I did a fair share of profiling while waiting in Seattle too. I have to admit I’m a terrible person. Every single person who didn’t look “quite right” to me was a terrorist. I had short little conversations with myself that included a bit of scolding. Lucky for all of us, my profiling stinks.

While in the UK, I’ll be staying with our Lead PM (Al - short for PM Goddess, or Alison) who has been gracious enough to play tour guide. She picked me up at the Starbucks right outside baggage claim and customs, and don’t freak out, but I didn’t actually want or get a Starbucks. I know! Odd, no?

Off we went in her convertible, it was actually sunny and beautiful. We sped off towards Windsor Castle. And don't mind me saying, but it's a real castle. The Queen apparently was in residence as a “special” flag was flying overhead. I took a photo of it, but as luck would have it the wind died down. So really, this photo is of that flag.



This is Queen Victoria.

Windsor was a beautiful little town. Full of tourists – go figure! We didn’t actually have time to tour the castle, which was fine by me, my brain wasn’t exactly functioning anyhow. I did manage to get significant sleep on the plane so I was more raring to go then originally thought I might be. Anyhow, Al and I wondered through Windsor – up and down cobblestone streets – which, BTW is great on the feet when wearing sandals with a slight heal on them. Good times.


This is this funky Crooked House of Windsor. It wasn't the photographer and any amounts of drink, no this house is truly crooked.

We decided we needed refreshments and so stopped in a little Italian café (Yes I know I’m in England and not Italy) had some bruschetta, olives and a nice Peroni Beer. Al decided we “needed” to visit the little store attached to this café. Upon entering downstairs, there on the counter were the biggest meringues I’ve ever seen. We snatched up three and off we went. Now, notice that meringue is in a normal bowl. It was HUGE...


Cirencester is a nice cute little town. I realized as we drove in that the size was much larger than I was originally led to believe. (You know who you are). We drove through the streets and I felt the same giddy feeling I used to feel when seeing such historic wonders. I just love the quaint-ness of these small towns.

We didn’t have time to wonder much through the town. I figured I’m there all week I can easily get into trouble then. When we got to Al's place we did have a scone with jam and clotted cream. Certainly different from the clotted cream we just tested in the US office. Creamy and full of goodness. Al did manage an excellent meal of Scrouse or something like that. It was a sort of lamb stew then we had marinated red cabbage on the side with it. I also partook in an English drink called Pimms. Can't really explain the taste, other than yummy. Now, anyone who knows me know I’m not normally a lamb person, but man it was good. Then for dessert – or “Afters” as they call it, we had the meringues with cream and raspberries. Oh. My. God.

I managed to stay awake until 9:30pm or so. Then slept through the night with no disturbances to speak of. I am somewhat surprised at how good I feel. I was dreading the jet lag but really feel quite awake. And me without Starbucks…truly shocking.

Today it was off to work. The drive in from Ciren was absolutely breath taking. Rolling country side, small tight roads (made me a wee bit nervous and so very thankful I wasn't driving). I’m at Tortworth meeting all the folks from CM Group. People I’ve met virtually now for six months. Everyone is, of course, extremely friendly and ever so welcoming.

So until later, know that I made it. I’m being well taken care of. And I’m doing just fine.

Cheers.

3 comments:

Teaux said...

I'm so excited for you! Tell Devaney and Rabitt hello for me. And be safe. I don't like being the only PMP in this office.

Nicki said...

It's so awesome you got to go. See as much as you can, and take lots of pictures.

Ken La Salle said...

Jenn,

So glad you brought your new camera and are taking lots of pictures. Please keep us informed about your adventures and ENJOY!