Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Have you seen my luggage?

Yes, boys and girls, my luggage is still in London. Actually, I’m not 100% sure if that is true or not. Truth is, I do know where it is. I’m merely assuming it’s still in London. I do know, without a doubt, it’s not with me. It didn’t jump off the plane at the airport on Sunday and hasn’t been seen since I sent it on its baggage belt journey to the back caverns of British Airways in Heathrow.

Upon my arrival in Seattle, I marched through passport control with no issues. Right down to baggage claim. I was amusing myself watching Molly the Fruit/drug sniffing Beagle lay claim to many bags of fruit that were later confiscated. I was tired, and admittedly a bit cranky from the long trip. I mean 4 movies, three sitcoms and two not so good meals will do that to even the most charming of girls. I waited with all the other tired souls from my flight, when suddenly God was speaking to me. Okay, it wasn’t God, but the British Airways official. She called out 20 or so names to meet her ghkd;fisur;e;sldjf;hgadjf (that would be what I heard over the speaker.) I flagged down a BA looking rep who directed me to this poor woman whose job it is to inform people their luggage neglected to make the journey.

Is that like the worst possible job ever?

She was pleasant and assured me my luggage would be delivered to me on Monday by 4pm. At 7pm when no luggage had yet arrived, I started thinking about her ridiculous statement the day before. There’s one flight from Heathrow to Seattle nonstop that I could find. It doesn’t actually land until 4:35. So even under the best scenario IF (and apparently that was a big IF) my luggage managed to get on that flight and IF it had landed on time and IF the baggage handlers knew what they were doing then the earliest my luggage would arrive would be 8pm ish. Regardless, it’s Tuesday, almost noon and no luggage.

They did, however, give me an ubber special URL to go to with my secret baggage code to “track it’s progress”. So like any obsessive person I’ve been watching that site hourly. It hasn’t changed. Not one word on it has changed. In the “status” field is says, “ No information has been received.”

I’m starting to get paranoid now and have done an inventory of all that would be lost if the luggage doesn’t show up. I’ll do my very best to not cry, but man…all my favorite clothes and shoes are in that bag. As is one of my makeup/hair stuff, my macro lenses for my new camera (Yes I know. I should have carried it on. I’m an idiot. Thankfully it was my old macro lens that if I do lose just gives me a reason to buy a new one), my little HP camera, all the goodies I purchased in London, all my notes from my week’s worth of work, two journals I faithfully brought back for PMDude, and of course, my power chord to my laptop.

It’s nice to be home though. While it’s so much fun to go, there’s something about coming home that is refreshing. I do have to say, I never once had jetlag. On the way there I was fine, and one the way back I was fine too. Wonder if there’s something magical and special about me. (No comments from the Peanut Gallery please.)

And I'll leave you with this. In recent posts I talked about their signs and their crazy round-abouts for driving. I mentioned to a colleague in Tortworth about the craziness of roundabouts and she directed me to look up the Magic Roundabout of Swindon. It has FIVE roundabouts in one BIG ASS roundabout. So I pulled these beauties off the web.


The Official Drawing


The Official Signage and Chaos

2 comments:

Nicki said...

Oh

My

Word

Remember how I kept saying now I want to go to England? No way if I have to drive that, that THING.

Al & Jo said...

If I EVER encountered that $%^&* roundabout, I would still be in it, scared to death! I would go until I ran out of gas or life, which ever came first.