Sunday, July 15, 2007

Friday the 13th in the United Kingdom

Friday July 13th

Cirencester in Bloom!


We decided to work from home today since we’d be taking me to the coach by 1pm. We also decided we’d better discuss the project which brought me to the UK - finally. We went off to have our working meeting at a local breakfast place called Relish. Al had mentioned to me that I “must” try a buttery bacon or bacon buttery sandwich. Let’s just say that it has bread. It has butter. And it has the UK version for bacon. I know I’ve said this a few times but..Oh.My.God. It was heaven in the form of a sandwich. I almost asked for two. But I thought that might be a wee bit obsessive.

Buckingham Palace

Hoped on a coach heading for London. Such beautiful country side. Rolling hills, green, farms, sheep. Lots and lots of sheep. But I arrived safely. I had quite a difficult time hailing a taxi from the coach station to the hotel. As it turned out I almost walked the entire way. Once in a cab, I swear we just drove around the corner. But I made it.


Deposited my suitcase, went to the WC (water closet for you non British type), grabbed my camera and I was out the door. First stop Buckingham Palace. Did you know the Royal family had their own website? Weird huh! I had my map and I was sure I’d find it with no problem. I would be wrong. I walked in circles for about 45 minutes before seeing a friendly looking bloke and asked him directions. Come to find out I was basically walking around it. I had a flashback of a trip to Hawaii when mom, Blueberry and I drove in circles trying to find the Punch Bowl, only to find out we were, in fact, driving around it.

Westminster Abbey

Buckingham Palace was everything I knew it would be. It’s the official London home of the Queen and was built in 1702. Queen Victoria was the first queen to actually live in the palace and it’s been home to all the royalty since. I opted to walk through St. James park and head to where I didn’t know. St. James Park was palatial and beautiful.

The Parliament Building



At the end of the park I found a tour bus. I thought it was still early so I hopped on. I figured they’d ask for my $$ eventually. They never did. So I road through a good part of London on the Big Bus. It drove me through Trafalgar Square, Picadilly, and toward Westminster Abbey. I opted to hop off and see Big Ben. Glad I did. It was perfect weather. And Big Ben is fascinating. Large and ornate. It is the icon of London. I think I took 40 photos of Big Ben itself. Across the Thames is The London eye. For a millisecond I thought I’d walk over and take a trip. Then saw how high it went and I quickly decided not to. I wondered around Big Ben and the Parliament building snapping photo after photo. Across the street is Westminster Abbey. Stunning really. It was closed and so I couldn’t go in, which was fine, I preferred the outside architecture.

Big Ben

I pulled out my trusty map and tried to find my way home. Surprisingly enough I found the Grange Rochester fairly easily – after I walked around it three times. The funny thing about this hotel is they upgraded me to a "suite". When asked the difference they said the beds. I figured twin versus Queen. No it means two twins versus three. So I have three twin beds in my room. Hilarious! Now Me, Myself and I will be comfortable. My “view” is one that only will get one small sentence about it. It consists of a brick wall and a roof.

3 comments:

Scribbler said...

Big Ben is the bell in the clock tower - not the tower itself.

Scribbler said...

"Al had mentioned to me that I “must” try a buttery bacon or bacon buttery sandwich. Let’s just say that it has bread. It has butter."

I think that's :
Bacon Buttie.

Jenn from WA said...

Re: Big Ben - I agree 100% but most people wouldn't know that. = ) I was looking for the name of the tower and found nothing.

Yes Yes. Bacon Buttie. Yummers! I must have one of those again.