Tuesday, July 17, 2007

If you ever felt there was nothing you could do, this post is for you.

Okay, I’ll stop whining about my lost luggage just long enough to tell you about something great happening right now. Now. I mean now.

My younger bro (well he’s older, but the youngest of the three older brothers and apparently my twin – long story) is someone I’m very proud of at this moment. I don’t get an opportunity to say that too often anymore, but today I am very proud. He has been training for the past several months to walk in the Susan G. Komen 3-day Cancer walk. It’s 60 miles in three days. As I’ve mentioned he’s been training for months and is (or has by now) surpassed the 1000 training miles walking. More than I’ll do in a life time.

I suspect we all know someone who has gone through breast cancer. And if not I’m sure you will at some point. It was just four years ago that Blueberry went through her battle with breast cancer. I still marvel at the fact of how young she was and how scary the entire ordeal was. I remember feeling helpless and useless on many occasions. That year I organized a team for the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. I was humbled by all the survivors and even more in aw at all the people who came out of the woodwork to support our team and Blueberry. We raised $10,000 that year and had 38 people on our team.

I’m posting this for my brother to reach out to everyone who reads my blog. While I can’t walk with him (well I could, but I can’t) I’m supporting him 100%. If any of you feel so inclined to support him, here’s his information.

***********************************************************************

My name is Ric Wraspir, and in recent years many persons in my family and inner circle of friends have been affected by breast cancer. Most recently, my mother and my cousin have battled and are currently celebrating survivorship. With this inspiration I have decided to participate in the 2007 Breast Cancer 3-Day walk. I'll walk 60 miles over the course of three days with thousands of other women and men with a common goal to “end breast cancer forever.”

Without a cure, 1 in 8 women in the U.S. will continue to be diagnosed with breast cancer – a devastating disease with physical, emotional, psychological and financial pain that can last a lifetime. These numbers have created a scary awareness to me with a wife, two daughters, aunts, sister, nieces and contact with scores of young ladies in youth sports. The realization that one of these women may become one of these statistics is disheartening. Everyone deserves a lifetime.

Now you understand why this is so important to me and understand why I'm asking for your financial support. I've committed to raise at least $2,200 in donations. My personal stretch goal is set at $6,000. So, I need your help. It's hard asking my friends and neighbors for money, but this cause and this event are very important to me. I hope that you can make a tax deductible donation of $50, $100, or more. I trust you will designate the amount that's right for you. The net proceeds benefit Susan G. Komen for the Cure and the National Philanthropic Trust Breast Cancer Fund.

There are several easy ways to donate.

By Mail: Mail your contribution to me and I will submit proper paperwork to get your donation acknowledged and a receipt sent to you.
Checks payable to “Breast Cancer 3-Day”

Ric Wraspir
3810 NE 113th St
Seattle, Wa. 98125

By Phone: Call 800-996-3DAY. Mention that I am participating in Seattle and my Supporter Number (160764370) and your donation will make it to my total and a receipt will get sent to you.

By Web: Donate through my personal webpage Receipts will be sent to you.

So, yes, this is a plea for your emotional and financial support. I thank you in advance for your support and for taking this journey with me. I look forward to seeing your name on my honor roll of donators.

Ric Wraspir
savingsecondbase@cs.com
2007 – Breast Cancer 3-Day

***********************************************************************

2 comments:

Nicki said...

That is amazing. I applaud your brother.

Al & Jo said...

We are also so very proud of Ric for this effort and for his devotion to the cause. I hope all of our family and friends will raise to the occasion and support Ric in this effort.