Saturday, September 08, 2007

You gotta be bad, you gotta be bold

I’ve long since have had my reservations about online dating. I’ve not had my heart in it and have approached it in a fairly cynical and amusing way. I’ve met a bunch of people whom have been successful with the online dating and have nothing but good stories to tell. To me, it seems so cold and so judgmental. Instead of the old fashion way where you meet someone through a friend, we have entered a generation where conversations start by an email instead of a sly look from across the room.

Despite my reservations, I’ve kept at it. I’ve not lowered my standards on the sites (as in I don’t just go out with anyone) but I admit I’ve cast a much wider net.

I had breakfast with HikerGirl today. She’s always a good dose of reality to me. She’s got it all together to me and I can trust all that she says. I ran my most recent theory on dating past her. She agreed with me and thought it a healthy approach to the dating scene.

See, we women were raised with the theory that you date one person. Or maybe it was just me who has gone through her life thinking: One guy at a time. Now in my later 30’s I’ve started to think that there’s no reason I can’t go out and have fun with several guys. Not all on the same night, or maybe. Hmmm…Oh sorry, I forgot where I was.

Anywhoo, date number 2 tonight and another date set up for tomorrow. The date tomorrow is the one that has me most interested. He and I have a lot in common already just by our profiles. And so I was tempted to cancel date number 2 tonight, thinking I can only go out with one guy. That’s when it hit me. No you don’t. It’s not like you’re sleeping with all these guys, you are just going out and having fun. Getting to know new, different, and exciting men. I’ve always had a good guy friend in my life and recently I’ve found myself lacking in that area.
I’m going to persevere. Watch this space…

You are the lucky folk that get to go along with me through this journey of online dating. I thought it only fitting to give you some of my favorite profile tidbits. I’ve laughed my ass off at some. And now I find myself reading a good portion of them to amuse myself more than anything. I’d share some of the photos I’ve found, but my god…I couldn’t do that to you, my dear readers.

“I feel I am a stable man. I have a nice house in which I live with my wife and my kids.”


“I enjoy simple things like quantum physics. I’m not joking. I like physics. If you don’t, then stop reading.”


“I was born and raised in NJ. And, no, not that part!”


“My Mother gave me this disease…”

“When I was little, I started to wonder if everyone else was just acting, putting on a show to fool me and maybe some other people that this was the real world, that the world was really like this, to see how we would react. I'd like to have a group of friends, but I haven't since I was in junior high school. I have one actual friend, a girlfriend who's a neighbor I spend evenings with. (We used to be intimate.) It's not that I lose friends, I just don't meet people. Not much social life leads to not going out much and not knowing where to go out to meet people and not having picked up recreational activities or habits from others that involve going out, leading to not much social life, a vicious circle.”

2 comments:

Nicki said...

Thank goodness - I thought all those 'NOT single' people looking for other people were indigenous to my area. There are a CRAPLOAD of them on there!!

I read one guy talk about his wife and his girlfriend and how great life was.

Pig.

I'm with you, though - I'm tempted to give up, but then again, I don't, dammit.

Anandi said...

Ha ha. I would totally call up the physics guy :)