Monday, October 01, 2007

Not To Be Forgotten

My vacation is winding down and I have to say I need to go home to get rest. I can't believe how much we've walked. The Metro is about a quarter of a mile, and we've been walking it several times a day. The weather has been sensational. Its said it's high 70's but I swear it feels like mid 80s. Sunny, humid and beautiful.

Today we took a somber approach to our day and visited Arlington Cemetery. You can't even put into words or photos how amazing and how moving it is. Approximately 300,000 military personnel are buried here. The rows and rows of marble head stones is truly a sight to see. We learned something today too. We learned each headstone is 250 lbs each. And they are as much below the earth as they are above the earth.

We also got a chance to see a ceremony that's taken place since 1921. The Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. It was a magical and very thought provoking ceremony. The military men who guard the tomb are truly exceptional too. They go through a rigorous process to get the honor of guarding the tomb. It's a 2 year commitment and has rules they have to follow for the rest of their lives.

I leave tomorrow, but before I do we're going to head to the Capital building. We realized we haven't actually seen it from the front. We also haven't seen a few other historical buildings in the Mall area. The MomUnit and SLSIL want to go to another museum. So why they are in a museum, I'll be wondering the Mall area again. So stay tuned.

1 comments:

Nicki said...

You know what's pathetic? I live right around the corner, and I don't think I've seen half of what you've seen on your vacay.

I've been to Arlington Cemetary several times, though. That's not an experience that's easy to forget. Especially now when I look back on it and realize the weight it carries.