Monday, October 15, 2007

My Pumkin is missing it's innards

Officially, the pumpkin carving party was an enormous success, in my humble opinion anyway. And I base this opinion on several factors.

1. No food remaining after the event. That's right. They ate my out of house and home. Now, anyone who knows Wraspir's well know that we tend to cook for small armies. Therefore, it's almost always guaranteed that we'll have several days of leftovers after a meal. Not so in this case. The menu: Balsamic marinade flank steak, Swiss Potatoes, Sugar glazed carrots, Warm Bacon vinaigrette salad, and apple crisp for dessert. I planned for 10 people. 9 showed up and had two very small slices of steak left and a small sliver of apple. Had I let them, they might have licked the bowls.

2. 9 pumpkins carved and looking every so stylish. This year we had a special guest show up to the pumpkin carving; Baby. That's right. At last year's event, Claudia took all the pumpkin guts and tossed them in her garden. Out of it grew "Baby". Pictured in the middle and who remained uncarved. We just couldn't do it. Megan got the "Fancy Pants Carving" Award fro most creative (bottom row, next to the Seahawk). Claudia's pumpkin - the one that looks like it has pitch forks in it - is really a replica of the tablecloth iron fence around the graveyard. Very creative. Most non original is mine I would say. I'm a traditionalist, what can I say. Two triangle eyes, one triangle nose and a goofy snaggle tooth smile (pictured above to the right of Baby). Oh and we got extra crazy this year and put candles in them. OOOO...spooky.
A special note to Claudia for bringing her "tool" to the party. Without your battery operated little gadget we wouldn't have been as satisfied with the outcome as we were. What? You perverts, I'm taking about a battery operated little cutter/saw thingymabob. Ultimatey it was useless, but it sure amused us for several minutes, and prompted very off color jokes throughout the night. Ahhh Good times.
3. New contenders. We had some new contenders this year. HikerGirl has not ever participated in a pumpkin carving event, but has participated in past holiday events and so was well aware of how far out I go for some events. Claudia brought a friend to experience the event and I'm not 100% sure he doesn't think we're all insane. Brought his sarcastic witty game and fit right in. From Left to right: Mark, Vanessa, Mike, Nancy, Claudia, Chris, HikerGirl, Megan, me and Pookie (who made an appearance long enough to spout off something in cat and then went back to his nap).

4. I was pooped the day after. I can always tell when I've had a fun party because I'm usually 1) hung over the day after, 2) hung over and pooped, or 3) just pooped. I was three this time. Sadly didn't hardly drink at all during the event. But alas, I got to do the dishes. Oh boy.

3 comments:

Al & Jo said...

Recipes please for everything but the Apple Crisp...I have that one. Everything sounds so yummy!!

Nicki said...

Holy cow, if I lived in WA state, I would so come over all the time for food and fun.

And your cat is freaking HUGE!!

Anandi said...

aaaghhh, i'm such a flake. so sorry to miss your crafting party on sunday. I got stressed out about this weekend's craft fair comin up and TJ got really sick so we stayed home. Are we on for Happy Hour tomorrow?