Sunday, June 21, 2009

The Hot Barbecue Man

I'm not quite sure what to say for Father's Day this year. It's rare, I know, that I would be at a loss of words, but I worry that anything I say won't do my Dad justice. I don't think I'm alone in this either. If you've been fortunate to be that kind of Daddy's Girl, you know what I mean. It's hard to describe a man who molded your life.

Dad was born in 1934 in a very small town in Eastern Washington. Things were tough back then, and yet the family survived. Dad graduated from high school (a graduating class of 4 I might add - or maybe it was 6 - but either way it was small). Then he set out to see the world.

I realize as I write this that I don't know what my Dad's dreams were back then. Did he dream of traveling? Did he think he'd have to stay in Irby and work the farm? Did he want to marry? Have kids? Did he accomplish any of his dreams? Has he regretted anything? What's his most memorable moments in his life? I need to ask these questions.

Dad's doing better these days, and for that I'm very grateful. We've had a few scares and I'm sure there are more to come. He's at that age now where a trip to the hospital is almost the rule instead of the exception. I hate this. My parents were supposed to live forever. They ....nevermind...I' can't write this line of thinking.

So today I just wanted to say Thank you Daddy. Some of my most memorable days are with you. I will forever cherish our little Father-Daughter outings we've had every year and can't wait to go again. I am proud to say so many of my character traits were instilled in me by watching you. By watching you be a man with integrity, love and compassion. So thank you. But let me not forget the most important thing you taught me...


Oh yah, BBQ'ing. I wouldn't be the self titled Master now if I hadn't grown up in a household in which you would have BBQ'd spaghetti if you could have found a way. Though for dinner tonight I won't be BBQ'ing. No instead one other meal comes to mind when I think of my dad...Pot Roast. So tonight, Dad, Dinner's on me. (which means if you know me at all it may literally be on me.)

And as I close this and wish you a happy Father's Day I'm reminded of a quote on a mug I once bought you, "Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a Daddy." XOXO

1 comments:

Al & Jo said...

Dad says thank you and thank you for the praise. He needed that! He said that he always looked forward to your outings and that he has always known that you would turn out to be a great person.
Love you