Sunday, June 07, 2009

$1.5M Dollars toward ending breast cancer forever

Today was the Seattle Race for the Cure. Thousands of men, women, children, dogs, and all types showed up to support the local affiliate of Susan G. Komen. It, as it always is, is an incredible experience. So many people sharing the love.

I didn't walk this year. Instead I was photographing the volunteers doing what volunteers do best.... Blueberry and her team walked this year - and sadly they were walking for their friend Rebecca who is no longer with us. - A moment of silence please - *sigh*. I took a couple of shots in the Survivor Breakfast of Blueberry's team the Dancing Dahlias, and I gotta say, I had to choke back a tear without Rebecca being in the mix.

So for several months now, Blueberry has been on the campaign to get a photo of her with Edgar Martinez - form Seattle Designated Hitter and a well loved sports legend in the Northwest. Well today was her day...as was mine. Though she beat me to getting a photo first, she deserves it considering how much she loves this guy. But that doesn't mean I didn't get my chance. The beautiful woman in the photo with pink hair - yes I felt I had to point out which beautiful woman - is Holly, his wife.

All in all it was a good morning. I got some pretty good shots, I think of most the volunteers and a few other photography things. I do think something is seriously wrong with my camera though. I had a great shot set up with a mom and her daughter in a very emotional hug...and my camera stalled.

Oh and Ford is a sponsor of the RFTC and you'll never guess what they had within grasp of my greedy little fingers....a 2010 Mustang. Ford does this Warrior in Pink thing in which they donate $$ for each test drive of the 2010 Mustang. Last year they had an actual Breast Cancer decked out Mustang - which they're not doing this year. But never fear, I did get my photo with the Stang...wiped off my drool after too. And yes, I did try to open the door and see if I could sit in it...but someone was WAY smarter and had it locked up tight.


If you want to see all the other photos I took, I've posted them here.

0 comments: