Saturday, January 08, 2011

The Breakfast Club

GalPal Claudia and I like to meet for breakfast on the weekends.  We have a couple of favorite spots that we frequent but we wanted to track down some new haunts.

A couple things you should know about me and Claudia and breakfast.
1. I am not a fan of eggs.
2. Claudia likes eggs.
3. Claudia usually eats all her eggs, all my eggs, and takes the rest home for leftovers.
4. Nothing goes to waste at breakfast

Way back in October I had won a drawing at the Drink Beyond Pink auction.  In the beautiful pink basket I won, was a $25 gift certificate for The Breakfast Club.
 This was one of those places I've driven past a hundred times.  And one of those places I'd never go into by myself. As we pushed open the door - I thought as my senses were washed over with the smell of grease - that we'd either have the best breakfast of our lives, or we'd be sick for days with food poisoning.

Its a small place, with, let's call it, eclectic decorations.  It reminded me of going into an antique store.  You know the types, with thousands of items on its shelves and walls.  Your eyes are so confused with what you're seeing that you don't even know where to look. This is that place.

This was the view from our table toward the back of the restaurant.  The clutter just about drove me crazy, but as I started looking around, I began to appreciate the craziness that was this little diner.


This view is from the front. It doesn't do it justice to all the stuff on the shelves to the right - which you can't see - but it does show the walls well...so many items.  Through the course of breakfast I counted about 10 flamingos around the place.  Any place with flamingos can't be that bad, right?

Turns out the food was pretty darn good. Reasonably priced for how much food you got and surprisingly tasty.  I wasn't holding out a whole lot of hope considering the location of this place (Lake City - hooligans live in Lake City...like my bigbro and his fam...it's just not safe with those Wraspir's lurking).  Anyhow, the staff was was you'd expect from a family owned little diner...polite and attentive.



I had their corned beef hash and Claudia had their chicken fried steak.  We split the two ...she had my eggs and her eggs (which was 6 total and to her credit she only ate 5...took everything else home with her.

Nothing matched either.  The coffee cups were stained with years of use...I momentarily questioned if they were even cleaned...and decided coffee wouldn't hurt me.  Claudia's knife was yellow and black ... with a rubber handle.  You can see it in the photo above with the blue rimmed plate.

At the end of the breakfast, we were satisfied.  Good food, great conversation, and the best part...it was free.  I'll most likely go back - not alone of course - I bet I can talk the fam into meeting me there some day.


And since I know you care and are dying to know...I've done well for 8 days with the Project365.  I don't hold any delusions that I'll be able to keep this up, but I'm gonna try.

0 comments: