Monday, January 03, 2011

Project 365

I have three friends who are involved in what's called Project 365.  The idea is to take one photo every day...and post it. These friends aren't professional photographers and at least two of them I didn't even know they owned cameras. Yet, they are setting off on this adventure.

Can I do this?

I love taking photos. I want to improve my photography ability, but a photo a day? That's a lot of photos. Well, 365 to be exact.

One of my goals this year was a photo a week - which seems more doable to me.  But what if I could do a photo a day? There's no rules saying it has to be perfect. No rules saying there has to be a theme. No rules for it at all. I could certainly give it a try, couldn't I? Of course, you all will suffer the most because I'd be posting them here.

Let's see, since Jan 1 I have taken a photo a day! I'm already well on my way to a photo a day.

Okay, so how about this. Why don't I say I'm going to TRY to take a photo a day...and worst case I take a photo a week. I can't possibly think I'd post a photo a day, so I might post them in clumps ...or I can make an attempt at one a day. We shall see. Watch this space.

In the meantime, here's Jan 1 - Jan 3rd photos:

January 1 - Right outside my front door.  I had decided to go on a little photoshoot - my weekly theme was Cold. And since it was 17F outside, I figured how hard could it be.  Right outside my front door is a wood fence that haunts me.  Every time I see it, I know there's an award winning photo in it. I just can't compose it correctly. It screams to be photographed.  Today, instead, I focused on the moss and ice that seemed to be clinging on for dear life to the old faded wood.


January 2 - Also right out my front door. I have a pond behind my townhouse. It's protected land so the cat tails line the pond. Throughout the year I enjoy watching them change color from vibrant green in the spring, to warm, autumn brown in the fall.  Suddenly, I noticed they are spitting cotton out.  I love this photo with the warmth in the background and the cool, shaded foreground.  If I could do it again, I'd try to expose the foreground more..but Projec365 beggars, can't be choosers.

January 3 - What to shoot today? Since the Stang was filthy I decided to get it cleaned.  Pulling into my garage and pulling out the camera I'm not carrying everywhere with me, I thought, "why not shoot the stang?"


I should also state that you should not expect all my photos to be quality photos.  Having a photo a day means I most likely will be shooting whatever I feel like at the moment. Could be dinner, could be my coffee, could be my shoelace (if I wore shoes with shoe laces).  I'm just saying, to not expect glorified photos...some maybe...most, probably not.

OOO UPS is here with my 2nd birthday gift...ironically it plays very well into my Project365. I bought a new small camera.  Found a killer deal online and since my other little camera has decided it no longer wanted to participate in the photo taking business - I figured why not.  I didn't put it on credit, and starting this month is my huge savings plan. Why not? 

0 comments: