Monday, October 10, 2011

October Sunday Dinner & Annual Pumpkin Carving

If you weren't at my house last night you missed out.  Turned out to be just us girls last night, which I think for the men folk was a good thing.  There were some misinterpreted one liners that had most of us blushing.

6 pumpkins gave their lives for our party last night. All of them, I'm sure are happy in their after life. I mean, they do, after all, have a new look.


LTR Pumpkins: Pantry Goat, Mrs. Bras-pir, ChickenLady, Twyla, Blueberry, and me.

The two pumpkins on both ends are the only two that did not follow a template...can you tell? I opted to cut a "knucklehead pumpkin" which is essentially, I discovered, a gourd. And I discovered, they aren't the easiest to cut into.  There was some concern amongst the table that I'd slice off a limb trying to get into this beast.  Hindsight being what it is, I should have used the chain saw.
The finger sticking out of his mouth is courtesy of ChickenLady. No. No, it's not HER finger, she wasn't sitting close enough to me and my tough gourd.  No, instead she gave me a little appetizer spreader that is a finger. 

My pumpkin gourd sure is ugly.  In my defense, I did have three of the Ruby Red Rocket Cocktails before we started carving.  Hmmm, maybe a knife in my hand wasn't such a good idea. 

I'm getting ahead of myself here.  It was not only pumpkin carving, but October's Sunday Dinner. We had a small crowd which makes my decision what to cook for dinner easier.  I opted for Chicken Scaloppini with Wine, Mushroom and Green Olives.  The recipe is here in case you want to make it.  It turned out quite good last night, which could be I starved us and we would have thought a sweat sock tasted good OR it means it was quite tasty. I'm voting for the latter.

We ate, we drank, we picked up sharp knives and started carving.  The poor pumpkins didn't know what hit them.

LTR: ChickenLady, Twyla, Mrs. Bras-pir, Blueberry, and the Pantry Goat - pink hair and all.

Side note: The Pantry Goat decided to where my pink beehive wig all night. At one point of the evening, I pulled out my old Can-Can Girl dress and the Pantry Goat found my Halloween lights. She put them all on.
You can't really tell, but her cleavage is glowing.

Right so back to the carving.  This year there were cheaters amongst us.  4 of the 6 of us chose to use templates on their pumpkins. The Pantry Goat and I were the only TRUE carvers in the bunch last night. Still, I'll admit the templated pumpkins looked pretty damn good.


You should see how much pumpkin guts I had all over my kitchen floor after this event. 90% of it was from me and my gourd.

In the end, we had beautiful pumpkins.


We were relatively well behaved.
LTR: Moi (I still have my apron on too - sexy!), The Pantry Goat, ChickenLady, Blueberry, Twyla and Mrs. Bras-pir

Then we had dessert that ChickenLady brought...OMG Pumpkin cake with cream cheese frosting. So darn good. It made us crazy.

Did I mention the Pantry Goat brought a chain saw?

0 comments: