Monday, December 02, 2013

Two simple words...

"He's gone."

That's what I texted to my community of friends who were sitting vigil virtually.  November 30th at 11:50am, BigBro lost his battle with cancer.  The cancer was just more stubborn than he was.  He went peacefully with is family by his side.

The week leading up to it was just so overwhelming and so emotionally charged.  I would cry at the drop of any mention of him passing.  One look at The  Niece and I'd cry. One look at Mrs. Niece and I'd cry.  It was an impossible situation to not cry in, and I was ok with that.

If I've learned nothing over the years, it's been "let the tears flow".  They aren't a sign of weakness but a sign of hurt.  And hurt we felt.

BigBro really came into my life in 2008.  We were "family" before. Only doing things on birthday's
or the occasional holiday. Then in 2008 we trained for the 3day.  In those many training miles, we became friends. We became family.  The bond between us continued to grow, year after year, and I can say that he (and his wife) are two of my closest friends.  I'd call on them for anything.  Now he's gone.  Leaving us to grieve his loss and be so very thankful for the time we did have with him.

I think about all the things that will happen in the next day / month / year that he won't be a part of and it makes me very sad.  But the legacy he's left behind, the HUNDREDS of friends who have left condolences and well wishes is truly a sign of the man he was.  The ripple affect of the lives he's touched is enormous and hopefully will go on for years.

I miss you BigBro, today, tomorrow and always. Rest in peace.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been thinking of him all week. Lots of hugs and love to your family.