Friday, November 29, 2013

A Surprise Turkey Day

The family is still sitting vigil at Ric's bedside.  Several friends and family came by to hug Seattle SIL and the rest of the family. It was very emotionally draining, but so overwhelming.

A core set of SIL's friends showed up at 6pm with a turkey dinner in hand.

It was one of the most amazing displays of love and compassion I've ever witnessed.  It was truly overwhelming to see these 6 or so women come off an elevator carrying so much food a small army could eat for a week.

We ate. We cried. We ate some more.  There were apologies for the pies not being homemade...we ate some more. We cried some more.

It was extremely special. These ladies made a sucky situation a Thanksgiving I will never EVER forget.  I sat at one point and looked around and thought how much BigBro would have been in the middle of all that. I have found over and over in the last 4 days that so many situations have left me a bit speechless.

In sadder news, tomorrow we will be letting BigBro go.  Sometime tomorrow afternoon we will be taking him off life support. There were several discussions today about who wants to be in the room and I gotta tell ya, I'm unsure what I'll do or where I'll be.  I'm not sure I want to be in the room when my BigBro takes his last breath.  I'm not sure I want to be anywhere else either. I am going to just decide when the moment comes. The Niece's Wife - BOB (long story why I call her Bob) most likely won't be in the room either, so there may be a reason for me to stay out too.  I'll be right outside the door, but not in the room. That might be close enough. 

I thought today how odd it was how quickly a "new normal" came about us.  It seemed so normal to be sitting in the lobby today hugging people I barely know. As we left tonight, it all became so real.  It became very real to me that by this time tomorrow night I won't have a BigBro to hug.  My life will never be the same after tomorrow.  I will find, eventually, a "new normal."

1 comments:

Lesley said...

Hugs, thoughts, prayers, and even some swinging chickens just because it's me and that's what I do. Take care.