Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Rain at last! Rain at last! Thank god almighty we have rain at last!

Yes sir, we have rain. I never EVER thought I'd say, bring on the rain. But versus the snow, bring it! And so it's being brought!

So tonight I had a rather surreal experience. In fact, I'm still wondering "WHAT THE HELL WAS I THINKING? I met my long time friend Julie for a belated birthday dinner at this little restaurant in Seattle called the Wedgewood Broiler. Sounds good enough doesn't it? My SLSIL mentioned having a meal there, and I hadn't been there, so what the hell? I got there a bit early to get a table. As I sat there waiting, I had this chill come over me that something was definitely wrong. What was it? There was something in the air about this place that sorta made my, well, my age appear to be, well, younger than normal.

When I got there, it appeared to be relatively empty, but they asked me to put my name on the list anyhow. So I sat and waited for about 5 minutes until Flo (the waitress - no lie) sat me. As we s-l-o-w-l-y walked through the restaurant I glanced around me. I wasn't paying attention to where I was walking and tripped on a cane.

As I sat I realized, the "air" was old. The average age of this place was - oh - I'd say one hundred and 50! I sat and looked around at the tables near me. There were no less than 4 canes and 2 walkers. WTF? Had I stumbled into the twilight zone restaurant, where all foodies go to die?

Flo brought ice water and asked if I was ready. Now, keep in mind, Flo just sat me with TWO menus and no person with me. "Ah, no, I'll wait for my friend."

Julie shows up and I comment to her about the average age of the place. The restaurant was definitely a throw back to the seventies and I'm sure the patrons of this place were in their hay days during the 70s.

The food was just average at best. But it was good to get caught up with Julie. And I'm glad to say that Julie and I got out of there with no more grey hairs then what we went in with, but just barely.

2 comments:

Nicki said...

I remember shopping at some store when I was younger and a toothpick, and had the salesgirl come over and tell me there was nothing in the store that would fit me, like I didn't belong there.

Well, I got HER back!! I shop in those stores all the TIME now!! *sobs*

Al & Jo said...

HEY!!! I resemble that remark about being in their hay days in the 70's! That was your mother you were looking at....but just wait, before you can say WTF you will be there! TEE HEE......

P.S. I AM STILL COLD......