Monday, January 29, 2007

Who Am I? And what have you done with me?

I’m sure everyone has done it. Or at least have heard about people doing it. I’m referring, of course, to personality tests.

W-A-Y back when, I took a fantastic test in my Managing Project Teams class called iSpeak Your Language. It, like many others, defines you based on 4 different personality types. It goes further, though, and defines your personality under stress, which is immensely helpful in project team situations.

There are 4 personalities: Intuitor, Thinker, Feeler and Sensor. When last I took this test, circa early 2005, I was a Sensor (I’ll get to this in a moment) under regular and a “Thinker” under stress. Basically a Sensor can, and prefers, to work on several tasks at once (with variety too), has an incredible attention to detail, and basically has a high value placed on action – we thrive on getting things done. A Thinker values thoughtful analysis and thrives on rationale.

I just recently retook the test and found I am now a Sensor in both regular circumstances and under stress. Can’t really decide if that’s a good thing of not. Now, do keep in mind this is just a dash of information about this whole test. It’s to prepare you for the next paragraph.

This new fantastic company for whom I am now employed, asks all their new hires to take a personality test. The idea being that there are no surprises and everyone should understand your personality and thus be able to work more efficiently with you.

This test blew my mind. I know I’ve done some growing in the past few years (mentally not physically…), but I didn’t expect to see it in black and white. A bit alarming and a bit refreshing that perhaps all this hard work I’ve put into myself has value.

One of my past goals was to be more of a long term thinker. I’m very “in the now” and I wanted to start thinking about down the road, especially strategically, when it comes to managing projects.

The first line of my test results reads, “Jennifer is a good people manager because she has the ability to see what may lie ahead and then communicate her vision to others.” Wait? What? Did they say I can see what lies ahead? Really? Hmmm.Good to know.

Other things you should know about me (in no particular order):
A natural entrepreneur, inquisitive and adaptable.
Infectious enthusiasm
Builds relationships quickly and effectively
Keen sense of priorities
Tends to not like mundane routine tasks, but forward thinking tasks.
May appear superficial and glib – hey! I resemble that remark.
Over optimistic about the abilities of others. (Can I get an amen?)
May open her mouth and fall in.
Will lead by fighting alongside her troops.
Brings sparkle, zest and vigour to teams. (Yes, you read that correctly. SPARKLE, ZEST and VIGOUR.)
This is the big one: “Jennifer’s reluctance to see one thing through stems in part from a concern that in so doing she may be missing other, more appealing opportunities.” Yah um, if you’ve ever gone on vacation with me…this just hit the nail on the head in a big way.

So while this is just a taste of the THIRTY page document, you can see that I am clearly a well-rounded, level-headed, crazy, who probably should have never been hired in the first place. Ironically, PMDude (the other PM here) is exactly opposite me. I wonder if they did that on purpose.
Side Note: In searching for that Rorschach I came across this delightful sight. Which, for the record, made my head hurt.

1 comments:

Groove said...

I took one of these once. Before I was to work the looney bin. It said I was an Aloof Asshole (ok it didn't say asshole...)

Needless to say after my training and subsequent immersion into the mental health milieu, all the other techs looked to me to talk the crazies off the ceiling. Whatever.

Employers only pull this crap when they want to assimilate you. Look at my results, not how I got there.

You need me on that wall :)