Sunday, November 04, 2007

The Apple by any other name...

HAPPY 60TH BIRTHDAY MOM!
Yes, that's right, the MomUnit, my best friend, my confidant, me in another life form, is turning 60 today. She tried like I've never seen anyone try, to hold on to 59.9999999 but as my sister said it best, she's used up her last "9".

This photo I dug up in my attempt to wish her a happy happy 60th and remind her how many moons have passed since the day she was brought home. The little bundle of joy is the MomUnit 60 years ago in the arms of my Grandma Spaid. I love the dog's expression. He's all, "What the....?" The year...well, you could do the math, but it was 1947. Truman was our president - and things were different then.

What Things Cost in 1947:
Car: $1,500Gasoline: 23 cents/gal
House: $13,000
Bread: 12 cents/loaf
Milk: 80 cents/gal
Postage Stamp: 3 cents
Annual Salary: $3,500
Minimum Wage: 40 cents per hour

Some thoughts about my mom. She's simply me. Lucky her, eh? Or I'm her...dammit. You know when you're a kid and you swear you won't be like your mother. How does it happen anyhow? We find ourselves completing each other sentences and have a number of inside jokes that, if told, no one else would think were merely as funny as we do.

We've done a lot in our lives together. She managed to raise a somewhat self sufficient, intelligent, talented PM of a daughter (that's me in case you're wondering). She has 8 grandchildren and one great grandchild (and one on the way). I've lost count where all she's lived and traveled.

I'm pretty fortunate though, I've known many people who aren't close to their moms and I always feel bad for them. I sometimes think about what life would be like if I didn't have a close relationship with the MomUnit. I would have ended up on the street more than once in my life that's for sure. But besides the financial support she's given me through the years (incidentally I'll be in debt for the rest of my life and likely grounded for life too), she's supported me in every single challenge I faced.

She was the cheerleader standing on the side lines yelling for me to succeed. From the day I decided to try out for the Antelope Valley Rifle squad - to the day I was determined to be the captain of the Quartz Hill Rifle Squad, to the day I graduated from high school, to the day I graduated from college, and still to this day - cheering me on to success in everything I do. She was the whisper in my ear when I would stray and be the rebel or do something wrong (whisper? Or was that a flick to my head?) She was the shoulder to cry on when all the times my heart was broken (and the one forced to listen to Careless Whispers over and over and over as I cried). I know, without any reservations, that all that I am - and all that I will be - is due to my mom. ( Mom - stop crying - you'll short out the computer).

1 comments:

Al & Jo said...

Okay--- I shorted out the computer! Thank you so much...I can't say how much your blog today means to me. HOwever, I will never give you pictures to post! Good grief, was that really me???? Someone said it best "60 is the new 40!" and that's what I am planning on...if only my body will agree.

I love you.
Mom