Wednesday, November 21, 2007

The Mystery of the Missing Cheeze Whiz

One of my favorite turkey day traditions is the making and later eating of the great Broccoli Casserole. My mother has made this for years, and subsequently I HAVE to have it at every Thanksgiving. If I don't, I pout. Where the MomUnit got this recipe is beyond me, but thankful I am for said recipe.

It is absolutely, positively NOT lo-cal in any way, shape or form. I mean one of it's ingredients is Cheez Whiz. CheezWhiz for heaven's sake. Have you ever read the back of the CheezWhiz bottle? Me neither, I'm too afraid of what I'll see.

I've been slowly purchasing all I need for the big feast tomorrow. I'm hosting Thanksgiving for several friends who normally don't do a big family thing. I've got everything I need, including an 18 pound turkey in my fridge thawing out. But I cannot find CheezWhiz.

I started my search at my favorite QFC. They are remodeling and so their inventory is anything but accurate and missing quite a few of my favorite items. I asked the store worker bee where I could find CheezWhiz. This particular worker bee I'm sure flunked out of basic communication class 101 since all he did was provide me with a blank stare as if I was speaking Russian. Moving away from the fellow with glossy eyes, I found the store manager. Requesting my beloved CheezWhiz he directed me to aisle 3. None of the aisles have numbers due to aforementioned remodel. Using my ubber PM deduction skills, I counted three aisles from both sides, and went up and down both those aisles. No CheezWhiz. I found Velveeta, and CheezWhiz in a can, but I need the jarred CheezWhiz.

And so I moved on.

My next stop was my favorite Safeway in which SLSIL and I stopped in this past weekend to purchase a few Thanksgiving items. We wondered to where we thought it would be. Nothing. None. Nada. Zip. But whilst standing in the aisle, the store manager was showing another lad where the CheezWhiz in a can was. How hopeful for us. I asked Mr. Manager if they had it in a bottle. He said they are not stocking it any longer. Ugh! Why? Why I ask.

Undaunted, I knew of at least 4 other stores I could hit without driving way out of my way. Yesterday, I hit the local Safeway by my office. Nope. They aren't carrying it either.

On the way home yesterday, I hit QFC, an Albertson's and another Safeway. None of them carry it. What? Why? Without CheezWhiz how can my broccoli casserole live. Though all stores mentioned Velveeta to me. The poor, unfortunate store manager of the last Safeway I stopped at was gifted with a 38 year old woman, about ready to break down and throw a tantrum over CheezWhiz. I swear to god I was seconds a way from throwing myself on the floor and kicking and screaming until someone got me my CheezWhiz.
Pulling myself together, I figured the Fred Meyer in the Hood (aka Lynnwood in which I live) might, just might have it. I mean after all, CheezWhiz is something that I see as a lower income type of food - like deep fried pig ears and generic beer (both of which are sold at said Fred Meyer). I drive my sorry ass to Fred Meyer, fighting traffic as I go. Cursing the broccoli casserole and it's need for CheesWhiz (followed close by a curse to the MomUnit for ever introducing me to this tantalizing treat). Fighting an SUV for a parking spot (all the while ducking so if gun shots would ring out perhaps they'd miss me). I darted into the FM, went to the information counter and asked. Missy, the worker on duty, gleefully said, "Why yes, we do carry it. Let me show you." Following the overly perky, way too cute Missy, we stopped in front of the processed cheese in the refrigerator section. Scanning quickly, she realizes it's not there. Turns and indicates to me to follow her. I follow Missy, to aisle 7. She points to the top shelf. Excitedly I rub my hands together, I sweat in anticipation of finally finding my long lost CheezWhiz in a jar. I glance up and see Missy pointing at Velveeta!
I give up. Velveeta it is. God only knows how this casserole will turn out.
I did happen upon the wine aisle as I walked, defeated, to the cash register. Bought myself a bottle of wine to wash down my sorrows with.

2 comments:

Nicki said...

I hate it when they stop carrying something you love. It's like they do it to you on purpose.

Could you have taken the cheesewhiz in a can and squirted out what you needed?

Al & Jo said...

Oh for heavens sakes.,..quit blaming me for your Cheezwhiz defiency. I had to use Velvetta a couple of times for said casserole and you NEVER knew the difference! And I had to melt the Velvetta in a sauce pan first, then use it.