Saturday, December 08, 2007

And on every street corner you hear....

DMQ Rocks!

Last night, as you know because you're avid readers, was the Dudley Holiday show. The Holiday show is my second favorite show - after the Halloween show of course. Blueberry was my fortunate sidekick for this show and we got our holiday groove on with our special red antlers.

Blueberry - god bless her - piped up and asked the bassist a question about their Christmas CD which prompted a good 15 minute conversation with Steve. Out of all the members of DMQ Steve is one that I've not had a chance to actually speak with.

He's very amusing and seemed to enjoy listening to us babble about our love for their band. In fact, humble is what I felt he was. They have local stardom to be sure, but Steve seemed to be very humble about the enjoyment they provide to their fans. Oh and once I mentioned to Steve I was 1) the flamingo from Halloween and 2) "jennwraspir" I swear to you a light bulb went off and he was all, "Ohhh it's you." He commented on how often my name shows up on their blog and what not. Hmmm? Stalker? Me thinks not.

Following the conversation with Steve, Craig - the lead guitar player - was ordering a beer near us and I struck up a conversation. Also, a very friendly, charming man. I always enjoy chatting up the guys in this band and asking questions about the band and their experiences. It's clear they do enjoy what they do and that none of them thought they'd be around 13 years after their first gig. Craig commented on enjoying the videos on my blog from the Halloween show. Suddenly I thought about all the DMQ comments I've made on this blog and wondered if there was any incriminating evidence to my stalker-ness. I did also comment to Craig that I was working on stalker status in a selfish attempt to get a discount on them for my 40th birthday. He seemed amused at the minimum.

But the most important part of the show was the singing of the Grinch. It was the ONLY song I really had to hear. And the boys did not disappoint.



The did a few new songs this show - songs I actually knew and liked - as well as some older songs they've done for years. The ended the second set with my ALL TIME FAVORITE Dudley song combo - Ring of Fire and I wanna Be Sedated. Seems like an odd combination, but I assure you it's a medley that gets the place rocking.

Speaking of the place rockin, Blueberry and I had "issues" with a few characters in the crowd. First and foremost we think there was "Munchkins Night Out". I swear to you as a not so tall person (well average height) that there were some seriously short people there last night. And by seriously short I mean, 4 foot - maybe. I was starting to get a little munchkin phobia going on. They were everywhere!

In front of me during the first set, we had a gal I amusingly labeled "Chicken Dancer". Her dance "technique" involved bouncing/bobbing her head like a chicken, and flapping her arms about like one would do if one was doing the chicken dance.

An unexpected issue arose last night that caused our night to be cut a bit shorter than I would normally have liked. Remember a few days ago in which I showed my graceful personality and bit it in the parking lot? Well, my right leg has a 6" bruise / scrapes / cuts on my shin, and my right knee is black and blue and red all over. I hadn't anticipated the pounding of the bass through the speakers would aggravate my bruise. Each little movement caused a bit of pain. That coupled with me "dancing" about and standing for 2 hours my right leg ached like mad after the second set. And so Blueberry and I decided to call it a night.

2 comments:

Nicki said...

Yeah, but I bet the pain was so worth it.

I'm dying to see that band.

Lesley said...

I'm also dying to see that band. I should make a trip to Seattle and bring Freak with me!