Sunday, February 17, 2008

Destination Starbucks

Living in Seattle you are almost guaranteed to be able to drive by or walk by a Starbuck within minutes of each other.

I'm a Starbucks poster child. I order a very simple drink - Grande Vanilla Americano with extra room. I am guaranteed that any Starbucks I order my drink at, even the cheesy ones inside Safeway or QFC stores (not Starbuck employees usually, but store employees). Still, I get the same exact drink every time. I look forward to the consistency. I crave the consistency.

Though on occasion I like to par take in the other little coffee houses in the area who specialize in meaty coffee. These special coffee houses usually serve Vivace or something similar. Vivace is a very hearty, very bold, very heavy coffee. I swear when I drink it I feel I should be using a spoon instead of drinking it. Thick and delicious.

But I digress to why "destination Starbucks".

Yesterday, I was able to lace up my walking shoes again and hit the pavement. It had been two long weeks since I had walked - thanks to a stupid cold. I felt behind the 8 ball and delaying my training any further wasn't an option. I challenged Blueberry to chart out our course. She sent her map to us and explained a couple of different options through West Seattle. And she included that there were two Starbucks on our route! Glory days. We joked that from now on when we walk we have to make sure there's at least two Starbucks. I wonder if we can, in every course we plan, have a couple of Starbucks on...me thinks yes.

We took off and met VikingGirl (Yes, Heidi has a new code name - someday I'll take a photo and explain why) at 63rd and Admiral Way. Blueberry's course included an enormous hill. We had an option to either do an enormous hill at the beginning of the walk or the end of the walk. And she promised the "enormous" hill has some flat spots in it where we could catch our breath. I now know Blueberry's definition of "flat spot" differs greatly to my definition.

VikingGirl, Blueberry and I started off. We decided to do the hill first and get it out of our way. The Starbucks - at the top of the hill. Sneaky. Very sneaky! Blueberry knew I hadn't had coffee yet and having a Starbucks at the top was a sure fire way to get me motivated.

One foot in front of the other, we hiked up this hill. And we hiked and hiked up this hill. All the while I'm asking, "Where exactly are the flat spots?" As we marched on we'd hit a not so steep part of the hill and Blueberry would hollar back to me that we're at a flat spot. My butt it was flat.

The hill was exactly 1 mile up. And we did make it. We stopped at the top at a Safeway in which VikingGirl and I grabbed a bite to eat because neither of us had had breakfast. Dumb walkers! Oh and Safeway had a Starbucks.

We walked on through West Seattle. Stopping to take pictures every now and then at scenic view points. It was a sunny day, but a bit foggy so Seattle wasn't as in view as it normally is.

5 miles later - FIVE miles later we pass the last of the Starbucks. But by then we were too hungry and decided to have lunch instead.

On route we received 2 "atta girls" from walkers, 2 honks, and tried to take 3 puppies home with us. Total miles walked - just over 7.

1 comments:

Nicki said...

You are doing so well, and I'm so proud of you.