Monday, February 04, 2008

The Squeemish Need Not Apply

Okay, so I have to share this with my fans - er ah - readers. However, if you are weak in the stomach and get grossed out easily you may want to look away and come back another day. Hah - look at me I'm a poet.

Ahem....

Most of you are aware I'm training for the 3-day walk in September. Along with this training, I decided it would be in my best interest to drop a few (or several) pounds. Walking as much as I have been and working out on the off days should just go hand in hand with losing weight.

Well, a friend this weekend recommended I consider taking this new fandangled "magic" drug called Alli to help with my weight loss. A magic drug? Wow, exactly what I've been waiting for! Knowing full well it is likely a piece of crap, I had no idea just how much of a piece of crap it is.

I decided instead of forking over my hard earned cash on seeing how it works, I'd *gasp* read about it first. And therein lies the gross factor.

I googled it and went to their "how does it work?" section of the website.

Oh.
My.
God.

It says, and I quote, " The active ingredient in alli attaches to some of the natural enzymes in the digestive system, preventing them from breaking down about a quarter of the fat you eat. Undigested fat cannot be absorbed and passes through the body naturally. The excess fat is not harmful. In fact, you may recognize it in the toilet as something that looks like the oil on top of a pizza. "

Okay, ewwwww....

If the last sentence isn't enough to talk you out of pizza for awhile, I don't know what is. But here's the kicker, they go on to say that by taking alli you may encounter "treatment effects" if you eat too much fat.

A- ha so that's where it works. It's a diuretic. Excellent.

The site goes on to warn you to not take it if you're at work or going to an event until you know how your body will react. And that you should also lower your fat intake as you take it so that you don't encounter the "treatment effects" as often. Ah, yah wouldn't that also help you lose weight? I'm just sayin.

So the end result is I won't be taking it. I'm doing fine where I am. 6.5 lbs down. Losing an average of 1 lb a week and that my friends is healthy.

That aforementioned hard earned cash now has to be put toward a laptop for home. My LT is dying a slow, painful death. Geeksquad this weekend quoted me $650 to fix it. At that price I figured why not fork over some mo'money and buy a new one. AND while I'm at it, why not buy a PINK one. I ordered a pink external hard drive and a pink mouse to match it. I know you're jealous!

7 comments:

Jared said...

And now we know where the oil on top of a pizza comes from.

Al & Jo said...

Okay===I may not ever eat pizza again! ICK!

And, where, might I ask, has this PINK thing came from? I mean, you used to HATE pink...I don't understand.

Anonymous said...

Oh, you forgot to mention they recommend to take a change of pants to work with you. Isn't that an incentive to take it? xoxo Kathy

Nicki said...

Yeah. I said something about wanting to lose weight in front of my doctor and he offered to write me an RX for diet pills. I said, "No thanks - the idea of pooping my pants just doesn't appeal to me." He said, "It depends on how desperate you are."

Yeah.

Don't think so.

Anonymous said...

I thought about Alli also as an extra "boost" to my workout and healthy eating plan. FYI - Alli is not a diuretic. The "treatment effects" are not excess water, it's the extra fat you weren't supposed to eat that Alli is preventing your body from digesting in a normal way. Keep reading on it to get the rest of the info, but I still wouldn't recommend taking it.

Congratulations on your 6.5 - that is EXCELLENT progress! I'm very proud of you.

Lesley said...

A pill that tells me I should wear dark pants and keep a change of clothes around? Yeah, I will pass on that action, thank you very much.

My younger cousin was taking it this summer until she came to her senses and stopped. She called it "alley" instead of "al lie" like the commercials call it. When it would have its not-so-pleasant effect she would go running to the bathroom screeching "Alli oops! Out of my way!"

So now I call it the "alli oops" pill. Yikes.

Anonymous said...

I think diarrhea-etic is more the word. It sounds like it would have the same effect those no fat potato chips had. If it's not digested, it slides on through. BTW I don't think they sell those chips anymore.