Friday, March 20, 2009

Face the Adult Music

White coats and cold stethoscopes are not my idea of fun. I am not a big fan of doctors. I spent 5 days in critical care back in 2002 for blood clots and I saw my lifetime share of doctors – according to me. Since that time, I’ve had very little – only necessary really – interaction with doctors. I’ve wondered a lot about why I have such an aversion to doctors. I could blame the 5 day “vacation” back in 2002 – but really that turned out okay. I felt like a pin cushion afterwards, but really nothing horrific happened. I didn’t fully comprehend at the time that I could have died at any moment. I did, after all, feel sick, so how could I die. Yet several days into it I realized just how serious it was and adjusted my attitude accordingly.

Since that time, my only interaction with hospitals and doctors has been around blueberry’s battle with breast cancer. I really didn’t have to do anything but be supportive and look away when the needles came out. (maybe I did more – maybe). At any rate, I’m unsure if her experience has affected me and my feelings toward doctors/hospitals. I suspect it might have.

This last Christmas I had to spend some time in and around hospitals too with my Uncle being so sick. And perhaps that’s why I have issues with doctors. I fully recognize they are there to help and in fact logically, the more you visit the doctor the less likely you should have too.

All that being said, I’m going to the doctor – well some may argue they aren’t “real” doctors. Chicken Lady has ever so delicately pushed me into going (thanks Chicken Lady). The MomUnit, BigBro and Blueberry have all said, “YOU need to go see the doctor.” It’s not like I didn’t hear them, I did…I just chose to “not” hear them.

Since the 3Day I’ve had issues with my feet. The balls of my feet – both of them – have been numb. That’s not good, right? I’ve managed to postpone the doctor visit but now think I need to be an adult and go see the doctor. I’m forever telling people to go to the doctor – it’s time to practice what I preach (incidentally I preach other things more fun and I don’t find myself practicing them either…like drinking wine, boys, etc – I should really focus on this practice what your preach thing.)

Ahem

So Monday I have an 11:30 appt with a chirocracker….! I’ve had some lower back issues too and so Chicken Lady and I speculated that there’s a chance there’s a nerve being pinched somewhere. Baby steps. If that doesn’t work, then I’ll move on to a foot doctor.

I also have some moles (that’s moles as in brown bumps not MOLEY as in Mexican sauce) that need to be looked at. They haven’t really changed too much in the past 100 years, but there have been a few more that have taken up residence. And so, the adult thing would be to go have them looked at. The 34year old in my office did, so I had better.

This weekend enjoyment will be a 3Day Getting Started meeting and a viewing of Confessions of a Shopaholic at the Big Picture.

0 comments: