Tuesday, March 24, 2009

“Together, we can make a difference” – Breast Cancer 3 Day

I remember thinking as I walked along a dirt path in September 2008 that this was going to change my life. I didn’t know then just how it would, but I knew that the Breast Cancer 3 Day would change me. I can’t help but smile, and tear up just a little, when I think about all the wonderful memories, all the amazing people, and all the money raised to help fight. As one woman said in the video, “it’s my statement”. I was doing something about it. I knew I was a very small fish in a very large pond of people who were doing something about breast cancer. The Breast Cancer 3 – Day’s slogan “Everyone deserves a lifetime” is one that I truly believe in and am proud to say I’ve help take a step toward ensuring just that.

Just a few statistics:
  • 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer.
  • One woman is diagnosed with breast cancer every 3 minutes, and one woman will die from breast cancer every 13 minutes.
  • Currently, there are 2.5 million breast cancer survivors in the US (can I get a YEEHAW?)

Staggering when you think that you can probably name 8 mothers, sisters, best friends, aunts, wives, etc. But there is hope, and with hope we can, and will, make a difference.

Last year, my BigBro, Blueberry and I raised $21,000. Just the three of us. Even today I look at that number and am proud to say I played a part in a much bigger picture. The numbers for 2008 Breast Cancer 3 Day are out. And as I read those numbers, I welled up…again … the pride so intense.

85% of the funds we raised goes to Susan G. Komen for the Cure. Those funds will support research, education, awareness and community health programs. The other 15% goes to the National Philanthropic Trust (NPT). NPT provides long-term support for breast cancer research, treatment, prevention and education.

The Breast Cancer 3 day took place in 14 cities last year. Hundreds of miles walked in training and preparation for it. Hundreds of men and women strapped on their tennys and took the step to end breast cancer forever. Those men and women raised $110 MILLION dollars. Yah, take a deep breath and let me say that again. $110 MILLION DOLLARS!!!! And here’s an even bigger number, since 2003 they’ve raised $400 MILLION DOLLARS.

If I didn’t feel proud before, and if I didn’t think we could end breast cancer forever, I believe it now.

But wait, if you think that’s still not enough. If you think you want to do more, but know I’m not walking. No matter, you can support my BigBro, Blueberry or BigBro’s wife. They’re all three taking the step again this year. My heroes. I will be their walker stalker and be a hero my own way.

Every little bit helps – if you want to donate – here are their details. You can pick one of them, or all of them – but please…let’s keep the trend of raising enormous amounts of money going.

Ric Wraspir (aka BigBro):
He’s already raised $710 buckaroos.

Janet Wraspir (aka BigBro’s wife)
She’s already raised $445 buckaroos

And Blueberry (aka Sherrie – my favorite survivor) She hasn’t raised anything yet…but she will.

Just one more thing…ONE HUNDRED AND TEN MILLION DOLLARS! Do you dare to imagine a world without breast cancer? I do.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sis, thank you for your part in volunteering and increasing the Breast Cancer 3-Day awareness. You have much to be proud of!!! I hope all the people that read your blog continue their support. We would be honored to have any (and all) of their names on our donation "Honor Rolls". YOU are one of my Heroes.........

Believing in a world without breast cancer.......We walk on.

Anonymous said...

You gave me the chills when I read this!!! --Erin