Saturday, June 11, 2011

What Would You Do?

Ever see those bumper stickers that say, "WWJD?"  Its supposed to stand for "What Would Jesus Do?"  A while ago, at a former job, PMDude and I grabbed those initials and kept changing the "J" to be the letter of our current boss or back to "J" to indicate ourselves (both our names start with a "J").

Anyhow, I have caught a couple of episodes of this show called "What would you do?"  Its very Hidden Camera-esk in that it sets up challenging or societal challenged scenarios to see how many people will step in or just walk away.  Its astounding how many people just walk away. Too afraid to get involved. Many not even stopping to notice the situation.

In one episode, they had a woman dressed in business attire pass out on the street. Almost immediately people came to her aid.  They repeated the scenario with an actor dressed like a homeless man. People, literally walked around him or stepped over him.  I've done it. I've ignored the homeless man/woman on the street who seemed to just be asleep.  I was able to "excuse" it away by telling myself he/she is just passed out from all the booze. It never crosses my mind that they may, in fact, need help.

Seeing this episode I felt a bit ashamed at how little I do get involved. It's not to say I see difficult situation every day, but I've seen my share. I have made the 9-1-1 phone call before, but haven't actually ever put myself in potential harms way to assist someone in need.  I would be among the one's who helped the business woman but  not the homeless man/woman.

Sad. Very sad.  Though I don't think I'm alone.

Blueberry and the Pantry Goat and I talked about it last night (stuffed on Cajun Chicken Stroganoff that you really MUST try). We discussed if my neighbors, for example, had someone moving a huge crate that may or may not be a safe from their house, would I do anything about it. I don't know my neighbors enough to feel I could. Again, I excused it away with two comments: 1) if they are criminals I don't want to risk getting hurt to question them and 2) I'd automatically assume they were doing what the neighbors asked.

Now granted, there's this little thing we all have called "gut instincts" and mine is usually right on. I've learned to listen to that little, nagging, gut reaction.

The show was quite eye opening to me.  I would hope that if it were really important and really a live or die situation for someone that I would step in. I'm just not 100% sure. 

The show had a psychologist on it who said that often people feel like "someone else" will step in. That we're all bystanders waiting for that one "savior" to step in and save us from having to.  I think I'm going to change my behavior and by that "savior" or at least now be aware that I just don't want to be that bystander waiting. Because what if by me waiting someone dies? Not on my watch!

0 comments: