Thursday, October 05, 2006

At first I was afraid, I was petrified....

October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month - thus the pink blog.

Are you aware of your breasts? More importantly are you aware of any thing weird, or odd about your breasts?

Many of you know, best friend and cousin Sherrie suffered through breast cancer 3 years ago. Her markers today are good! Thanks God. Yet I still feel she's scared to death that it may come back, patiently counting the days that turn to months that turn to her 5 year clean date. Of which we should celebrate. I'll bring the pink.

I can still remember that fateful day she found out. We were scheduled to move just two days after. The fear in her voice was unmistakable. But her courage throughout is what showed what she was made of.

Having someone that close to you go through such a traumatic ordeal makes one put ones life in perspective...if only for a moment.

So with this month being the month of breast cancer I thought it important to give you some statistics.

*One in seven women will be diagnosed with breast cancer, and increase of one in twenty in 1960.
*Every 2 minutes a woman is diagnosed
*40,000 women will die this year alone AND 470 men will
*25% of women with breast cancer are younger than 50
*80-85% of women diagnosed do not have any family history of breast cancer

So go on, cop a feel and make sure you're healthy. And in case you haven't, call your doctor and make yourself a mamogram appt (provided you're old enough). Then schedule a trip to your local burger joint and have yourself a shake. That's what I do. I go to the doctor, leave feeling like my boobs got squished in a very cold freezer door, then I head straight to my favorite burger joint to celebrate.

2 comments:

Ken La Salle said...

I think there's an industry waiting to happen with nerdy, teenage boys!

(Nice new look, btw.)

Nicki said...

My gyn does the most thorough exam ever known to man. I KNOW I ain't got it when I leave her office!