Friday, August 15, 2008

Pay it Forward!

I have a feeling it's going to be "one" of those days where I can burst into tears at any moment. (no I don't have the girl curse). Let me explain.

It all started this morning waking up being, well, happy. I know that shouldn't be odd, but I'm not usually a big fan of getting up too early - especially when the MomUnit keeps you up late. Yet this morning it felt good to get up and face the day. The fact that it's Friday may have something to do with it, but still. It's not like it's been a hard week or anything.

Anyhow, on the way into work my CD was blaring one of the songs I've chosen to use for my 3Day movie. Then when I got to work I had to look it up on YouTube so I can post it here...and found this video with it. Ugh.

But let's not get ahead of myself.

Once I got whatever was in my eye making it water out, I pulled into my second favorite place - Starbucks. As I crossed the parking lot, a grey-haired man in a Mercedes actually stopped for me to cross over to Starbucks. "Odd," I thought, "People don't generally stop here, but whatever." I continued to bebop into Starbucks.

Now, a little history. There's a homeless man named Morgan who visits this Starbucks every day. He's your average homeless man that if you saw him on the street you'd look away and pretend you didn't even see him. The women who work at this Starbucks, talk to him, and treat him like they would any other customer. See Morgan refuses to let anyone else pay for his coffee - usually. Some days you can do it, but mostly he pulls $3 out of his soiled pants and hands it over. Usually dropping the change in the tip drawer.

I hadn't really been paying attention to anything else because I was too busy scolding myself for complaining (in my mind) about this man's smell. But the older gentleman from the Mercedes had entered stealthily behind me.

Morgan gets his coffee and leaves, thanking the team as he leaves by raising his right hand that's holding onto his skateboard. They all shout, "See you tomorrow Morgan."

I buy my coffee and am chitchatting with one of the baristas at the end of the bar when I hear the old man ask the barista how he can be an anonymous benefactor for Morgan's daily coffee for the next three months. He explains to the girls that he sees Morgan every day there and would like to help out by buying his coffee for the next 3 months! Even typing it I'm getting all misty eyed.

The baristas explain that Morgan won't even take free coffee from them without paying something. So they weren't sure if he'd accept the donation. The Mercedes Man said he'd pay for a gift card and leave it at the store for him with a note. He scribbled something down on a piece of paper and put it in with this gift card for Morgan.

My jaw dropped. It shouldn't have because I think people should be that way all the time, but let's face it, we aren't. But here's this man who clearly has plenty of money, who - in my opinion - would normally be the type to sneer and look away (like I did). Instead he's offering to help a man who has clearly seen better days. Incredible.

So as I walked away flicking a stupid tear off my face, I got in the car and THIS song was the next to play on the CD (Warning: If you have any feeling in your body, this song will make you get teary! You've been warned.)

Sheesh!

In other FANTASTIC News - which also got a tear flowing. You'll notice my donation-A-Meter to the right is ALMOST FULL. That's due to some donations that have come through the last couple of days. Can I get a WOOT WOOT? I need to buy a bigger shirt now to fit all my donors on it while I'm walking!


Rose from Scotland - It's been such a pleasure getting to know you and quite frankly YOU ROCK! Thank you for your donation!

Aunt Rene - I will most certainly put Grandma Miller on my list of "in honor of"'s and Thank you for your donation!

KathyH - Not only would I not be a PM without your mentoring, but I wouldn't be so "in the money" without your donation. Thank you!

Joshua's Grandparents (aka Gary & Jeannette) - Cindy was such an inspiration to everyone, that I feel privileged to walk in honor of her. I know she will be with me poking me during the walk with her Cindy wit and carrying me with her spirit. She's was truly an angel here on earth. And now I get to give back to her. Thank you for your donation! Her name will be on my shirt with yours.

My ESP Friend in Sacramento - Can you guess what I'm thinking? You're right! That you are awesome! Thank you for your support and donation. If you're in Seattle on Sept 14th, I expect to see you at the finish line!

This weekend we celebrate Blueberry's 5 year Cancer Free anniversary. It's hard to believe that 5 years ago we sat huddled in her apartment, the fear forcing the tears. The constant disbelief that this could happen to someone so young, someone so wonderful. Then the reality set in and watching her push through every single side effect the chemo could throw at her made me so amazed at the power the human spirit. And here we are 5 short year later, she's every bit Blueberry. Glowing - and not from the radiation - and living! Yay!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

OMG, your story about Starbucks gets me all choked up. That's so awesome. So did you find out if Morgan accepted it?

Also, it seems odd that Morgan would choose to spend $3 on coffee everyday. The addictive power of Starbucks, I guess ;)