Monday, September 15, 2008

3 Day / 60 Mile Breast Cancer Walk - Day 1

I know, this is long overdue...but here's at least Day 1. The rest will soon follow. I promise.

Day 1 - Sept 12, 2008
I'd like to say I awoke bright eye'd and bushy tailed, but the truth is I didn't get much sleep the night before. Hours of tossing and turning, trying desperately to plan out each and every moment. A plan that wouldn't come to reality, but I didn't know that at 2:30am.

The blaring sound of the alarm at 4AM jolted me out of my restless sleep. But somehow I did find the energy and strength to get up and get moving. Perhaps the excitement of what the next three days held? In normal circumstances waking at that hour with little sleep usually leaves me cranky and sluggish, but before the 3 Day I was wide awake. It felt to me much like when I am going on vacation. Despite no sleep the night before, I somehow wake up and am ready to go. This vacation, I'd later discover, was like no other before.

Loaded in the car, the MomUnit and I drove south to Bellevue Community College. We were meeting BigBro and Blueberry there. We, of course, got there early. First order of business was to drop off my luggage. They had part of the parking lot lined with trucks, each labeled with a letter that corresponded to your tent location. Handing the woman my small bag, I was off. Camera in hand, pack steady on my back, I had a mission.

I all too often find that I miss a lot by seeing it behind the camera lens. While I wanted to capture anything and everything, I tried to bring myself in a bit and kept reminding myself to just experience the moment. Take it all in. I have a hard time with that. But I knew that the next three days would go by so fast that it would be a blur.


I went off to put a goal on the "goal wall". Which really is a big huge sign thing that walkers, supporters, crew, etc could put goals to themselves or to each other. I posted what I believe to be my motto. Live. Love. Laugh. You'll see/hear about it in a later post no doubt when I tell you about camplife. So, "watch this space."

The MomUnit was with me by this point so we walked through the opening ceremony area and took photos. Starbucks was a sponsor, so naturally I had to go over and smell the coffee.

Side note: For three days! 3 days I had no caffeine. But never fear, today I was back on schedule
.

BigBro, his wife, Blueberry and her sister all arrived. Blueberry was a Survivor flag carrier and BigBro and I alternates. We all went back to check in. I wanted to carry the joy flag, but sadly the original carrier showed. Bummed, but okay with it. I figured this way I could catch Blueberry being a fantastic survivor.

Opening CeremoniesOh.My.God. The woman who's the national spokes woman for Susan G. Komen, Jenne Fromm, is an amazing speaker. I've written to her to ask for her opening and closing speech, because it will bring tears to your eyes - if you have any heart at all - even one the size of a pea (kudos if you know where that is from). The music starts off roaring loudly and pumping up the crowd. It's that vibrant-happy-go-lucky music. And then....Then just when you think the crowd can take no more excitement, the music lowers to a soft, slow, but heart felt tune. As this takes place, Jenne starts her speech. I don't recall it all, but I recall it having something to do with us being heroes and that look around you because this is what real heroes look like. *sniff sniff

Then she brings in the survivors. Oh good Lord....more tears, oh wait, no I held them back. The Survivors that I got to speak with are a rare breed indeed. Their spirit is so unbreakable, so firm, so resolved in finding a cure, it almost made me feel ashamed later for complaining about a few pains. They have a tremendous respect for life, that I think all too few of us have. But watching 8 women walk into a circle carrying flags that say "BELIEVE" "COURAGE" "OPTIMISM" " COMMITMENT" "HOPE" "PATIENCE" "HEALING" and "LOVE, brings a lump in my throat even as I write this.

And then I see Blueberry. I was fine. No real tears...until then. I saw she was crying and she caught a glimpse of BigBro and I...oh boy. Water. Works. I don't really remember what was said by Jenne at that time, but I remember thinking how fortunate I was to be in such a place surrounded by such love.

And then we were off. We managed to hook up with Blueberry as she was walking out. Which put us in the very front. We were numbers 11, 12, and 13 out the shoot.

The route wondered us through Bellevue - my former hood, and through some very familiar neighborhoods. Into downtown Bellevue where we stopped for our first lunch. Some type of sandwich which had seen better days. The salty chips were good though! We drank water. We pee'd. We ate. We changed our socks and we were off.

Another Side note: The most amazing feeling is removing your socks and shoes after 10 miles to let the little tootsies breath.

After lunch we headed east towards Bellevue. I called PMDude to let him know where we'd be and approximately when. I wasn't sure anyone from the office would come and cheer us on, but I figured why not. Then to my surprise, Pointy Haired Boss, Our Sales VP and Hoppin Heather - who's name should be changed to something with geek in it, got any suggestions? Also meeting us at Geeksoft was my good pal Mr. Volleyball. The Dane, his wife, was in Denmark, so it was just Mr. Volleyball. He's good to us and will always be a good friend.

Leaving Geeksoft we were on the home stretch. Up to this point I had been encountering some rather interesting cramps in BOTH my calf muscles and my shins - almost at the same time. Now THAT's fun. After leaving Geeksoft, they got worse and kept getting worse. I had a decision to make. Do I go on and suffer if I pull something seriously...and no sooner had that thought crossed my mind when my body made the decision for me. I could barely stand on the little buggers and that was that. Seattle Sister In Law was meeting us at 7-11 to hand off keys. I hopped in her car and she took me to camp.

And that was the end of my day 1.


Once in camp I had a few minutes to sort out my thoughts on the day. I'm not quite ready to put them to words yet, so hang with me. I promise by the end of recounting Days 2 and 3 (hopefully soon) I'll have some eloquent words that can even begin to describe the 3 Day experience.

0 comments: