Thursday, September 11, 2008

JOY....

Look at me carrying a Lifetime flag. I was an alternate and got to carry the flag in rehearsal tonight. There's a 80% chance I'll get to carry it tomorrow. They're heavy suckers by the way. Oh and not only do I get to carry a flag...but I get to be on stage with said flag. AND I have to climb stairs with said flag. OMG...please don't let me trip. Please don't let me trip.

The interesting thing about getting the JOY flag - I'll tell the story in a later blog if I remember - is JOY happens to be my middle name. Because I'm such a JOY to be around...snicker snicker

I was early to the rehearsal tonight...shocking, so I had a few moments to reflect on what was about to happen. Thankfully I had a pink journal in my pink backpack to jot down some thoughts.
******
Sept 11, Bellevue Community College
I'm sitting in the shaded parking lot waiting for rehearsal to start. My emotions and nerves seem to be on full throttle. Just listening to a few selected songs on my "3Day CD" makes my already red eyes well with tears. I think, "What am I doing here? How'd I get here?" Then it hit me, I'm changing the world. The enormity of that was like a ton of bricks sitting on my chest. I'm changing the world.

"What kind of world do you want? Think anything."

Driving in...wait, let me back up to leaving the office.

I packed up and was walking out the door when Paul one of our sales persons stood up and started applauding me. Followed by the other sales person and then the techy guys in the office. Immediately I had a lump in my throat. These people who have watched me train for 9 months where cheering me on SURE I was going to make it. This thing, this 3Day sure does change people.

Leaving work, I headed to BCC for the opening rehearsal. As I turned the corner to enter BCC - you were blinded by pink. The stage, the welcoming, open arms of the 3Day opening ceremonies. Just seeing all the set up tears again. AGAIN! My thought immediately was the next 3 days are going to go faster than I will want them to. Enjoy every moment. This is YOUR moment.

As I sit in my car writing this I think of my donors. All these amazing people who took the time to donate money to me and an amazing cause. I wonder if they aren't the real heroes of the 3Day. And then I think of all the names of women I've been asked to walk in honor of or in memory of....too many names. Too many lives lost unnecessarily to breast cancer. Too many families living without a loved one. Immediately I feel an enormous sense of pride, knowing that I am changing the world. One step at a time.

"What kind of world do you want? Think anything. Be careful what you wish for, history starts now."

My fear or anxiety of not being able to do this has been firmly squashed. I know I can, and I suddenly feel I must. I've already done so much in my 40 years (or 39.9999 years) of live, but this is quite possibly the most significant yet.
Won't you take a moment and think about all the women who have had to endure this, and all the families, and all the future generations of sisters, aunts, wives, mothers, grandmothers that we only hope one day won't have to be a "survivor".

2 comments:

Nicki said...

Holy cow, I almost cried. I think I still might. You're a hero, Jenn. Not just to me, but to so many people who need one.

Anonymous said...

Jenn - I almost cried reading your blog, too. I am so proud of you and what you are doing. You are amazing and wonderful.

Jo-Mom's friend (and your friend) Cheryl