Thursday, September 18, 2008

For three days we walk as one!

This time last week I was fretting over the following three days. I knew it would be life changing, but I didn't know it would change my life.

So many had spoken of the 3 Day spirit. I didn't truly understand until I was there. It's an amazing spirit that I wish would be a part of my daily life. No, not people cheering me for walking into the office, though I wouldn't mind that. But rather the love, the warmth, the healthy way people cared for one another, and above all the respect for each other. It's hard to explain but it's an energy you've never felt before.


When reflecting on the 3Day three things come immediately to mind: so much gatorade, so many honey buckets, and so many miles. There were other 3 Day memories I'll carry with me always. They might not be as amusing to you as they are to BigBro, Blue and I, but I'll give it a try.

We proved the Pavlov Theory several thousand times during the three days. In fact we had three studies going on at the same time. A car honking = waving your hand. A cheer station = tears. A person looking you in the eye and saying "Thank You" = tears. And god forbid they tell you that you're their hero.

There were route signs throughout that said "Share the Path" - Blueberry misread it on Day 1 to be "Share the Pain" and so all during the three days I reminded her I was "sharing the pain".


Molting Flamingos - So many pink boas. So many feathers. I started seeing them everywhere and made a comment about a flamingo molting. Then I decided to start collecting the molting and creating my own boa.

Now to be serious.

As I stood there during closing ceremonies on the green fake grass of memorial stadium, I looked around and saw something absolutely breath taking. Hundreds of survivors, women, and men - we were all exhausted - and yet we all looked so fantastic. We all had a layer of sweat on us that glistened in the late afternoon soon - or - was it love I saw glistening?

During the three days, the most common phrase was “Thank you.” We heard that a thousand times a day, and I never got tired of hearing it or ever stopped thanking them back for being there. These were people who didn’t know me and yet they had an unspoken understanding that we were changing lives and changing the world. They were thanking us for being there. Sure, we could have been somewhere else, and “somewhere else” may have been easier. But I was there. I was there putting all my effort into making a difference. I was a part of something really big, and I was part of something that shows what heroes dare to do in the face of such a great challenge.

All the aches (well for me not so many thanks to Hanna Montana cream), the pains (see Hanna Montana), the blisters, were all taken in stride. People walking with pains that would normally cause us to quit, and yet I think these pains and aches somehow didn’t put a certain hitch in our giddy up. And yet, we were determined to ignore these great obstacles – at least for as long as we could. For me, I knew I had made a promise to myself, to my loved ones, to other’s and their loved ones, and to loved one’s lost, I found the strength because I had to. And strong I am.

I tried every minute to take in as much as I could. I wanted to remember every sight, every smell, and every feeling. I knew it would soon be over and I’d be sitting at my pink laptop trying to tell everyone just what it was like. It was during one of the moments I was taking it in when I realized that as long as there are women and men that live under the strain of this disease, or as long as we are missing our mothers, our sisters, our daughters, and our friends, we need people who are willing to do more. And if I could PERSONALLY thank every single walker in the 3 Day events in every single city I would. Oh wait I can.

THANK YOU ALL!

This was most likely the greatest physical challenge I’ve ever rose to do, and I hope I have inspired you all. No matter how tired I was, I was never too tired to cheer on another walker, or to comfort a tired sole (spelled that way on purpose), or to support a stranger. I perspired, yes, but I also inspired with grace and dignity. I honored the names I said out loud at opening ceremonies and carried with me. We became each other’s heroes.

On Monday I went back to work and back to the world where too often people move fast and they were going to be too busy to tell me just how wonderful I am for what I had done. And I certainly knew I wouldn’t get a round of applause when I crossed an intersection, and there probably wouldn’t be a little girl holding a sign that says “thank you” when I walk into work, but no matter I have the precious memory of three glorious days in September 2008 where my presence changed the world in ways we can’t know yet.

Let’s take a moment shall we. I ask you to turn your attention to the scrolling list of people who supported me. Because of you, the world has been changed. You have made a mark. Not only on me with your support and generosity, but on the world as a whole. You, my supporters, are a symbol of hope. I walked because I believed. You supported me because you believed. Together, we can find a way to end this.

Oh - One more thing - my team, my little three person team, has now raised $20,890!!!!!

0 comments: