Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Master Squirrel

Last night on my way home, I decided to go the scenic route (read: through the neighborhoods instead of the freeway). I've driven this route many times and am always stunned at the mansions that are being put up all around. This sprawling neighborhood that's been taken over by The Kind and I.

But I digress.

As I was driving, the speed limit, about 200 yards in front of me I see a squirrel dart out into the road. I'm not too alarmed because he has plenty of time to get across and he's running for his life. He's running, he's leaping, he's doing all he can to get to the other side.

And then he stops.

He stops dead in the middle of the road. Not literally dead. At least not yet. My car was getting closer, and I was growing more alarmed that I'd have to slam on my breaks should he decided to...and he did. He turned around and went back from where he came.

I hit my brakes so not to get squirrel guts on the bottom of the Mustang (they're a bitch to remove I hear) and the little guy jogs back into the trees he had just recently darted out from.

I laughed in spite of myself at the fact that this little squirrel was all gung-ho to get to the other side. Something on the other side, something was moving him forward. Then he stopped and went back. Was it fear that made him turn around? Was he leaving someone behind and had to go back? Or was he just a dumb squirrel with a pea size brain who had forgotten - like so many of us - why he was going to the other side and thought going back would remind him?

Then as I drove on I had a thought about how frequently I do just that. I'll be moving forward with a plan, get scared, and stop. I call the "stopping" regrouping or readjusting, but really its stopping. Am I, like Mr. Squirrel, too scared to see what's on the other side? Am I too afraid I'll be leaving someone behind? What do I need to do to make sure I keep moving forward? That something is on the other side that I must reach?

I suppose I'm not unique in my nature to be afraid of the unknown, but I sure would like to know what the squirrel was so intent on getting to on the other side of the road. Maybe the other side has all the answers. Mabye the other side has the nuts he buried and can't find. Or maybe, just maybe, the other side has a much better view. Either way, I'll keep moving forward. Maybe I can find my nuts I've stashed.

1 comments:

Al & Jo said...

Fat chance you will find the nuts that you have stashed! I think they are all in your brain. And I can say that cuz I'm the MOM...that's why!@