Monday, November 10, 2008

Heigh Ho Heigh Ho, it's off to work we go

What more fun than to come up with 7 things I did this weekend that has to do with the 7 Dwarfs (or little people if you think Dwarfs is un PC. )
Not listed in any particular order

#7 Sleepy- Got up at the butt crack of dawn on Saturday – for no particular reason other than my body decided it was “time”. As I lay awake in bed, my mind drifted back to a Saturday morning in our house in Redmond. It was almost as if it had happened yesterday instead of 12 years – ah I mean 22 years ago (good lord). It was a Saturday and I was sleeping. My mom burst into the room and announced, “Rise and shine. You can sleep when you’re dead.” Almost immediately I thought, “Or when I live by myself.” When I grumbled what time it was she announced it was 9AM. Why so early I thought. I got out of bed knowing full well that it would be a day of cleaning – outside or inside depended entirely on the weather. I must have said something about it being so early, because I remember mom saying that when I got older I’d be lucky if I could sleep by 7am. “Yah right,” I thought. She was right. Again.

#6 Happy - Managed to finally input all my recipes into my recipe database. Yes, I’m that geeky to have a “database” of recipes. But when one has over 1000 recipes, and one wishes to make each and every one of those, one must have a way of tracking said recipes. Even written out it still sounds like I’m a geek. Thankfully though, but finishing up the “T’s” I had stumbled off one of my favorite, and forgotten, recipes. Decided that recipe should be this week’s line up.

#5 Dopey - Sometime on Saturday I was bored and decided to make cookies. Chocolate cookies with peanut butter chips. MMMM….While the cookies were baking, I decided to clean out the cabinet above the stove. This cabinet usually housed things like Olive oil, and vinegars. I pulled everything out, mentally making a tally of items I had.

3 bottles Apple cider vinegar.
3 bottles Dry Sherry
1 bottle Sake
3 bottles Marsala wine
Dad’s ever famous dry rub
Two Costco size containers of McCormick Montreal Grill Seasoning (I love this stuff)
Box of Kosher Salt
2 bottles White wine vinegar
And a tub of Carnation instant breakfast powder

Now the interesting, or not, thing about this list is the large numbers of bottles I have of the same item. Crazy. But see if I run out of something, say Apple cider vinegar – every single time I’m at the grocery store I remember I need vinegar. And I buy it – forgetting I already did that twice before. I couldn't even remember when I had bought the instant breakfast so that went instantly into the garbage. As for the other multiple items, I debate on keeping them or putting them in the bag for the food drive. Tough decision. I mean, how many people need Marsala wine.

#4 Grumpy. Made a mental note to ONLY follow my grocery list and do not deviate.

#3 - Bashful. Had breakfast with the StaleMates and Blueberry. Burp. Buttermilk pancakes that totally hit the spot. Breakfast was good, but not spectacular. Managed to not spill coffee or maple syrup on myself. And for the record, this has nothing to do with Bashful - he's the toughest of all the dwarfs.

#2 Sneezy - The woman who is responsible for Dudley being in my life (I was also her maid of honor at her wedding) was in town – so we had coffee and cookies at my place. Upon passing over my threshold and kicking off her shoes she announces a bun in the oven. Yay! Maybe this one will be a girl. We spent much needed girl time talking about everything from politics to baby cloths. I mentioned that I was allergic to all discussion related to actual child labor. No single woman should EVER have to listen to that. Though I'm certain if they discussed it in such vivid detail in high school there may be more girls allergic to sex.

#1 - Doc - Made Hunter’s Stew for dinner and two days of left over lunches. Hunter’s stew requires dumplings to be put on top. As the stew became ready I realized I was almost out of bisquick. I debated just eating the stew without dumplings – but knew instantly that it wasn’t the same. Keys in hand I went and got biscuit. Upon returning home, I turned to get some water and went back to the bisquick. Shocked to see the box and the plastic bag opened. I didn’t remember opening it. I went ahead and used it. I KNEW that the box was closed so I had to have opened it. Still I thought about what if I hadn’t and what if there was poison inside. And what if I died…no one would ever suspect bisquick. So I found a pen and a piece of paper and wrote my family and the FBI a note that read, “If I’m found dead, check the bisquick.”

0 comments: