Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Ring My Bell-elll-eelll Ring my Bell!

I know every person reading this blog was told by their mom or the grandmother the same thing. "Be sure to always wear clean underwear in case you're in an accident." There are so many other reasons to wear clean underwear – I’ll assume the majority of readers know that. And there’s the other point that if you were in an accident you would most likely need clean underwear – but I digress.

I read an article in Cosmo that pointed out the many things that us girls do wrong in trying to capture the eye of a man. It said that in our everyday life we encounter many men who could be a potential capture mate. One of the points in the article that stuck with me was that even when you are just running to the store – make yourself presentable as you never know who will be sniffing the cantaloupe in the vegetable aisle. For a while I agreed and made sure I was “presentable” when I went out. (“Presentable” is all relative really).

I do my grocery shopping on Sunday mornings – usually before 8am. I don’t do the “presentable” much anymore. I’m lucky if I remember pants since I usually don’t have coffee yet (it’s on the grocery list to stop at Starbucks in the store first). I admit there are times that I think about it – but I also only see the scourge of the Hood when I’m at QFC that early. And by what they’re wearing I look like I’m dressed for a ball.

I tell you those two facts to bring you to last night’s events. I had just finished my salmon and rice (MMMM - and I can't believe I've never posted my all time favorite salmon recipe - "watch this space") when I heard a ringing. It wasn't loud or anything, just a ringing. I thought it was on TV so I ignored it for a moment - then realized it was our fire alarm. Our alarm goes off a lot more than it should. In fact, I’m convinced that we’ve all been conditioned and so if it were an actual fire we’d all assume false alarm and die. That being said, I decided to go outside to investigate.

Oh you should know that my typical home-from-work-not-going-anywhere-attire is flannel pants and a big ASU sweatshirt (neither match) – oh and a for good measure I have a head buff I use to pull all the hair out of my face. Yah – a winning combination.

So, I wonder outside to make sure the bldg really isn’t on fire and there’s this guy standing by my car. Tall, blondish, in a suit and a very nice camel hair jacket. Cute? Definitely. He extends his hand and introduces himself (I don’t remember his name) and says he just moved in on the weekend and points to his apt. He wasn’t sure if this was a drill or the real deal. We laughed about how glad we were that it wasn’t 2am, and chatted with my upstairs neighbors who saw us out there and decided to come out too. It was like a block party without the alcohol.

Then I heard the sirens. Firemen! Oh goody.

Oh hell.

Here I stood – already chatting with Mr. Hotty from L5 – and I realize what I was wearing. Why did I have that head buff on? Mom and Grandma may have been right about clean underwear, but I’m telling you the Cosmo article was spot on. So here I am surrounded by men - Mr. L5, 6 firemen who all appear hot in their uniforms (what?), and me in my blue oversized flannel pants and ASU sweatshirt...nice one!

Oh and it was a false alarm.

4 comments:

Al & Jo said...

Good one Jenn? So why was Mr L5 all dressed up? For a fire drill???

Nicki said...

Please tell me you had the head buff with the flames. Please tell me.

I ALWAYS, ALWAYSALWAYSALWAYS run into someone when I look like crap. and I KNOW this. And I STILL go out looking like crap.

Soooo.... L6? Stalking potential, huh? Yeah!

Nicki said...

I meant L5. You can have L5 - I'll take the 6 firemen.

Vicky said...

Head buff? That's new to me. Well, Ken will tell you that there are plenty of time he wishes I would put more effort into looking nice and yet I will still walk the dogs in my pjs.