Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Would you understand what I meant if I said I was only human?

There are two very obvious redeeming qualities about me that, if you know me at all and if you are observant when you read this blog, you would be able to say without a doubt that yes, those are redeeming qualities.

I say they're qualities because some, who will remain nameless, have mentioned nonchalantly that they could also be negative attributes to one's personality.

I say, "Bah." And "Whatever."

I'm turning 40. Without a doubt in 41 days I'll be 40 years old. Ugh. I'm not happy about this age, but it has given me an opportunity to look through my life and draw some conclusions on the good, the bad, and the "oh-my-god-I-wore-my-hair-like-that." See, I'm having a birthday party and you're all invited. (It's safe for me to say that since neither of the two party planners read my blog on a regular basis.) Because of said party I have been scanning old photos (watch this space as some may appear here in the near future) for a photo montage of Moi! This exercise has brought up some interesting memories and has stopped me cold a couple of times as I realized a pattern emerging. Which brings me to my redeeming qualities.

Redeeming Quality #1 - I like to be in control.
Ms. Jackson and I have some of the same personality traits. We both like to be in Control. Some would say I'm a control freak. And "some" may be right - to an extent. I've known some "control freaks" in my time and I can say that I am not like some of them. I do, though, require a certain amount of control over situations - especially when I'm involved in them. Don't confuse control with planning though. No way. Two very different things. Planning is just a method to make sure that things turn out appropriately - okay so it's a formof control.
When I looked up control freak in wikipedia. I was sad. That couldn't be me, I had hoped. I don't see being in control of my every action a bad thing and I'll argue that to my death. After all, I do come by it naturally I was raised in control.
There are only a few times in my life in which I feel like I need to maintain absolute control over - My birthday and it's ensueing party is one of them.

I can pinpoint exactly in my life where wanting needing to be in control of my birthday. That aside, I'm very serious about making sure my birthday celebration is fun and one I can remember. Wanting to control that "funness" is not a bad thing. That said, I've relinquished all planning rights for my party this year. I'm sure it'll be splendid, fun even. Sure of it.

So my point...um, yes, what was my point?

Oh right - my redeeming qualities. Being in control is one.

Redeeming Quality #2 - A bit obsessive at times.
It's appeared to me through reliving a few past experiences that I can be a bit obsessive over some things (i.e. pink, the 3 Day, DMQ, recipes, etc) some of the time.

It's redeeming quality #2 that brings me to the point of this blog. Twlight.

I was addicted. The books are actually written for the teeny bopper age, but so was Harry Potter and look what happened there (not too surprising but I was addicted to HP too). The story is a romance between a teenage girl and a vampire. It's situation in Forks, Wa - which apparently is one of the rainiest places on earth - thus why vampires can live there so easily - the whole sun thing.
Anyhow, my hair stylist turned me on to these books. In fact, the entire salon was reading them at the time. Surely, these sophisticated women had good taste in literature. I had my goal in sight. Find the books and read them. I couldn't put Twilight down. I spent the entire weekend reading it. Then on to book two, three and four. More than 2000 pages of reading and I'm finally done. I finally finished book 4 last night. I took my time finishing the book because I knew once it was done, I would no longer have anything to obsess over. Well, for today anyhow.

Oh wait, the movie. Yes, the movie is coming out this Friday. I am going to manage to NOT go on opening night and instead will go the Friday after Turkey day with Chicken Lady. Yay.

And the best part, Cedricc Diggory from HP plays Edward. Nummy!
I highly recommend these books if:
1) You are interested in just a good read with little to no heavy thought involved
2) You like love stories that aren't the norm.
3) You breath oxygen.
4) You have two X chromosomes

0 comments: