Friday, December 05, 2008

iPod-less in Seattle

I knew this day was coming. I had known this day was coming for about 6 months.

Won't you take a moment of silence in recognition of the iPod that has died.

Thanks.

Yes it's dead. It had been making death sounds - or rather not making sounds - for some time. It would happily play along and then stop. I'd hit play and it'd start up again, but then stop. If it was cold (the iPod) then you can forget it playing until it was "warmed up" (You should know that I sometimes forget it in my car and it gets cold in the Hood.)

The other day I plugged it in thankful to have remembered to bring it because I was later than normal leaving work and I knew I'd be in traffic. I plugged it in and the recognizable apple popped on screen. And I waited. And waited. And then I waited some more. Then a URL appeared on the screen directing me to support. Ugh. This can't be good.

My iPod has treated me well though. It was the first generation 40 GB iPod, purchased sometime in 2002 (I had in my brain that it was 1998 - but they weren't even around yet so I had to go back and figure out where I was living and what job I was in to make the date connection - that happens when you're almost 40 BTW). It has held all my songs for me faithfully - in fact I sure it has Faithfully on it. We won't get into a discussion about good versus bad songs - we'll just say it held some of the Top 10 Worst Songs too. A whole lotta One Hit Wonders on there just waiting to break out into song. And let's not even discuss the enormous amounts of 80's music that is on there. Or the several songs from some very HARD rock bands, or the Spanish music, or the show tunes...oh my pyschofrantic iPod...you'll be missed.

But the iPod is silent now. It just sits there all white and no color screen resting peacefully. Don't cry for me Argentina softly playing in its hard drive.

Did I mention I was turning 40?

The MomUnit felt my pain last night and was so excited - too excited now that I think about it - when I told her of the death. I had mentioned that now it was Nano Time. I was going to have to leap into the newest generation with bad songs in tow. Then I hear this, "What color do you want?" Does she not know me at all? What color do I want?

Then I hear a 'HAPPY BIRTHDAY, IT'LL BE THERE IN 2 DAYS!"


I'm no longer iPod-Less in Seattle. Spoiled in Seattle, most definitely. But not iPod-less.

Thanks Mom! You're the best.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Too bad she didn't react as quickly when you told her you wanted a breast cancer edition Mustang, huh?

Al & Jo said...

AHEM, Chicken Lady....quiet!!!!

Did the dead IPod have Careless Whispers on it???? OH NO!