Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night...

I bet you're wondering where I'm typing this from aren't you? Come on admit it, you spend your every waking hour thinking about moi.


Well, thankfully, I made it to Tucson. Mother Nature gave us quite the wallop in Seattle and did all she could to strand thousands in Seattle's airport. But by the time I had to leave on Tuesday they had sorted "most" of the weather issues out and I was off. The airport was a zoo and I wasn't so glad to be on an airplane as I was that day. People were tired, rude and cranky - you couldn't have paid me enough to be an airline ticket agent that day. No way nohow.

Way back when on a trip back into Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, I followed my good friend JC through customs. Saudi customs was crazy strict and would, at any time, try to find something in your luggage they didn't approve of. I used to put all my dirty girly under clothes on top hoping they'd just move along. Rarely did they. Anyhow, JC and I were in the customs line and I was dreading it. He had a green passport - diplomatic - meaning they couldn't search his luggage. He and I passed through "together" so the Arab guard wouldn't check my luggage. We whizzed through customs.

Tuesday morning after BigBro dropped me off, I ended up in a long line waiting to check my luggage. A young lady in front of me and I got to talking. We laughed and joked all the way through the line. As we got closer she suggested I follow her through security because she had a super secret pass to the front of the line. Okay...I'll follow you. We detoured at the end of the 2 1/2 hour security line to the front of the line. They directed us to another 30 minute line. Phew. As we stood in line, I got to thinking about Saudi and how I'd always get frisked when leaving. Secretly I think the Arab women enjoyed humiliating us foreigners because it gave them power they didn't have. As we got through to where we actually showed our boarding pass - I was waiting for the frisking treatment. But nope...they pushed me on through. On the other side - new friend and I parted ways. I stood in another line- Starbucks - but it was well worth it.

I made it to sunny Tucson. I landed in beautiful sun shiny weather. Christmas morning we woke to rain and hurricane force winds. Rain I don't mind so much. It's not white and it's not frozen. Christmas was relatively uneventful. We woke later than normal, open gifts, had Dad's World Famous biscuits and gravy for breakfast and then just vegged out.

I did find out that Blueberry, who was supposed to be watching my cat, made it over to Spokane after all - so she left the keys with a friend to check in on Pookie. Only the keys she left weren't for my apartment. So poor Pookie is home alone and most likely starving right now. I'm hoping tomorrow I can talk an apt worker into going in and feeding him. Poor kitty.

Tomorrow we're hitting the stores. We are most likely crazy to be going out the day after Christmas, but it'll be fun. And I need a Starbucks fix.

We are going to also take in the Desert Museum and the airplane graveyard (mostly for photography purposes for me). Birthday dinner will be tritip roast, and some fixin's. I opted to stay in for dinner as going out for dinner these days sets the DadUnit into a fit and makes him ubber grouchy. So...Happy Christmas everyone.

0 comments: