Thursday, November 06, 2014

I think I'm in love...

So Tuesday was my first day at the new job...and can I say? I'm in love.  I am not even sure where to begin.

Let me first begin by saying that the first day is often full of a lot of reading, not knowing where the bathroom is, not knowing the etiquette of the place etc.  And that adds nothing buy anxiety.  While anxious today, it wasn't because of any of those things.

It started with a meeting with the new boss.  He's "easing" me into it, though he said that with a wink and asked if I have good tennis shoes because I'm going to hit the ground running.  Which I replied that at least it will burn calories.  He gets my humor and for that I'm grateful.

After drinking from that fire hose, new boss took me around the office and introduce me.  Every single person, I kid you not, said "Welcome aboard. We're so glad to have you." It was like a script. Only to find out later that many of these people will be handing projects, or parts of managing projects off to me. Everyone was very welcoming and many stopped by during the day to see how I was doing. Love that.



First they have a new and improved boyfriend. And a wall of coffee options, and fridge FULL for misc creamers (full and non fat).



In the kitchen are two fridges. One is for employee lunches. The other full of (not pop ok some pop) Starbuck Refreshers, flavored water, yogurt, string cheese, all the creamers, etc. ALL for employees.  The freezer is full of frozen meals, for employees. You get where I'm going here?

The counter has a snack basket full of good for you snacks (PopChips, nuts, protein bars, etc), a small basket of not good for you snacks, a HUGE basket of fruit, and a container of beef sticks.  All for the employees. 

Then, in the kitchen is this HUGE table with about 12 chairs around it. People eat lunch together.  The company subsidizes lunches. Three times a week, they order from some restaurant and pay half of the meal, you pick up the rest. Then they all eat in the kitchen together.  Crazy. On the other two days, they all seem to walk over to a couple of food trucks that come by, and then eat together.

I missed the field trip to the trucks, so I sat and drank water and got to know my new family.  Funny group of people who appear to all be foodies.  One guy said to beware of the "MediaPro 15". He said he gained 15 lbs upon joining the company because of the food they offer. This girl ain't gaining that ...

Many people brought their lunches too and there was much discussion about what they were eating.  It wasn't simple soups or salads either.  I'm in trouble. I totally eat soup out of a can. And I said that out loud ... not too surprisingly they all laughed and said I'd fit right in.

The rest of the day was full of reading, reading and more reading. 

As I drove home though, I felt like I had certainly made the right decision.  So many surprises today that really helped me fell confident about this move. I can't wait to see what's in store.

0 comments: